Recent comments

• SIBAC supports Invest Kootenay with a $15,000.00 grant   3 years 43 weeks ago
    Andrew Nikiforuk is one of the best research journalists in the country. His book is essential to understanding Mountain Pine Beetle. CBC Almanac interviewed him recently. Quote from radio "one hundred years ago the lodgepole forest has 25% maturity... today (due to fire suppression) the forest is 50% mature .... the role of the beetle is to eliminate mature forest" And "... there wasn't a single epicenter... over 2000. Any notion of "stopping" the infestation was simply impossible: "like using hand fans to stop a hurricane." And "Where logging didn't occur, to harvest infested areas; there are now far more lodgepole saplings - and biomass is returning very quickly." ++++++ So questions follow ... will value-added production / beetle harvest harm forest recovery? What is the impact of fire suppression (have beetles been the "natural" response)?
  • Castlegar Minor Soccer Association to die?   3 years 43 weeks ago
    It is unacceptable that the recent CMSA executives have knocked down trees in other people's neighbourhood (and aggressively advocated for much more) and asked for expensive facility upgrades, and then immediately threatened to disband. I have gotten off my lawn chair and gone to city hall meetings to address these very concerns. (my name has appeared at the top of each post)
  • Nobel Peace laureates call on Harper to stop tar sands expansion   3 years 43 weeks ago

I'll bet we get Justin Trudeau adding his familial glow to the pot soon enough. A Trudeau-led Lib-NDP party would be unstoppable, and I'd almost bet that's what we'll get next time. Will something like that be a good thing? Well, it may put the breaks on Canada's decline, if nothing else! But then again, if we've already gone off a cliff, brakes won't do us much good...

...a Green-Liberal merger. Elizabeth May is about the only party leader that can really inspire people now that Jack's gone.

Better pray for an NDP-Liberal merger or Harper will still be PM when he's ninety!

...
    Is it election time yet, man Canada is so dumb and blind.
  • Castlegar Minor Soccer Association to die?   3 years 43 weeks ago
    I guess it is easier to sit in your lawnchair and criticize, than to actually get involved and try to make a difference. Thanks for your input. Ralph Lunn (yes, I will sign my name on every letter wrt CMSA)

Listening is definitely not the man's forte. In any case, he's too busy building up the prison system so he'll have somewhere to put all these pesky political dissidents and nobel laureates as soon as he can swing some more "counter-terrorism" legislation.

I seriously doubt it - the man has no shame and apparently doesn't care about Canada's and the world's future. But it doesn't hurt to keep up the pressure.
  • Castlegar Minor Soccer Association to die?   3 years 43 weeks ago
    Excellent! Great to see an actual response from CMSA. Hell hath no fury like a soccer mom (or dad) – keep up the trend, good to see the current executive taking an interest in opinions beyond its committee. This gives me hope for CMSA’s future. Hopefully some other soccer moms will read all this and vow to show up that know-it-all guy and get involved. However, you won’t have to save me a seat for me at the AGM. After 5 years of various frustrations with CMSA (including an attempt to get involved with the executive when I first moved to this community), I have no desire left to get involved beyond coaching (if needed) and lobbying the city to quit irrigating daily (rain or shine) during soccer season (drainage is fine, overwatering is the problem). And I will also vow to chase off the 40+ geese that now call Twin Rivers field home every chance I get. As we see from both respondents, little reference is made to the actual soccer programs – which should be the #1 priority for a struggling organization. I have no interest in creating Twin Rivers stadium, or seeing anyone awarded Jr. Soccer coach of the universe. The tournament argument always seems to come up; I don’t understand why it has become minor sports role to provide economic development for the hospitality industry. If it benefits restaurants and hotels, let them put up some real financial support (and not just some t-shirts). Sorry if this seems abrasive, but as a tax payer, I don’t want to see facility upgrades whose long term maintenance cost will be the City’s responsibility for an organization that is threatening to disband. It would be nice to see CMSA register as a not-for-profit organization (not the currently the case, last I heard), which would make it eligible for a lot of funding opportunities instead of relying on the city. Just a suggestion, but maybe raising fees a small amount (say $10) amongst the 500+ participants could be done in order to hire a part-time administrator to help alleviate the logistical burdens placed on your dedicated but over extended volunteers. This would provide 300hr or more for administration and allow the volunteers to focus on the soccer program. The same mentality that brought us the $25 million proposal for the Rec Complex upgrades seems to be at work here. Slow down; focus your limited resources on kids playing soccer. And don’t worry about what the neighbours are doing. Castlegar still got the Sr. games soccer venue despite the vastly superior facilities in Nelson. The goal to be the envy of Surrey, Trail or Shelbyville is not one I intended to spend any time on.
  • Castlegar Minor Soccer Association to die?   3 years 44 weeks ago
    Mr Sanders, please let me share a story with you. When I was 7 years old my Father enabled me and my best friend to play organized soccer by coaching us, driving us to games, and by volunteering with Surrey United Soccer Club as the Equipment Manager, then the Vice President. This sport created the back bone of our lives, and kept us fit, out of trouble, and brought the best out of everyone that played the game. Surrey United Soccer Club was started with hard working volunteers, and with a functioning Executive, and with a vision for the future, that vision was carried forward by my long time Coach & Mentor Martin Foden, who forged ahead with a vision of soccer in Surrey that many criticized at the time. Martin now sits as the Executive Director of Surrey United Soccer, after making the Surrey United Soccer Club one of the envies of the entire country! My friend that my Dad drove to all the games, because his Dad had other distractions at hand, is now the Vice President of Surrey United Soccer, and was also named the coach of the year in the BCSA a few years back, when he coached his son's team to the National Championship. Organized sport is at the very foundation of a healthy, thriving, and active society. Kids in third world countries play soccer because it needs nothing more than a ball of wrapped plastic to play this game, and it's gives them joy, hope, and a dream! Castlegar Minor Soccer Executives are forced to take on several positions, as well as coach more than one team, and a job to balance. We know what to do, but we are limited in that, when we don't have the people in positions to make it happen, it's that simple....either volunteer in the Executive and try to make a positive difference, or go ahead and stand in the middle of the field with a whistle and a ball, I will be sure to pass along your name and contact information...... Sincerely Dave Grantham
  • Castlegar Minor Soccer Association to die?   3 years 44 weeks ago
    To SSanders I'm very pleased to see your letter - as it confirms that you know exactly when the CMSA AGM is, and the fact that you are willing to become part of our executive. We welcome anyone who has a passion for the beautiful game; all ideas are welcomed! That's why I, and several other dedicated parents are there. We love the game. Our kids love the game. Most of us are busy with full time careers, but we do our best to keep soccer alive and well in Castlegar. And please don't take it for granted - just ask people in other communities if they have a functioning executive or not. You are correct in that we seem to have to make a plea for volunteers every year - I don't know why that is. But the simple fact is there are several things that need to get done for an organized league to function, and many hands make for less work. If you've raised your hand in the past, and been overlooked, then I personally apologize. The odd thing is that I and many executive members are at the field all season long, in virtually every age group, and really aren't that hard to find. I believe that in fact, you know me, and I think you know many others on the executive. Did you ever approach any one of us about joining CMSA? Do we want to develop soccer in Castlegar further? Definitely! Do we want to improve the facilities at Twin Rivers/Millennium? Definitely! Will we do it while respecting the people who leave near to the Park and hold it as something they treasure? Definitely! Go to Kamloops, Revelstoke, or any other city during a big tournament weekend, and see what kind of positive energy and revenue it brings to a city! Hotels and restaurants are packed! If the city of Castlegar wishes to support soccer, which has more registered members than any other sport, be it in the way of facilities, field improvement (drainage), a concession stand, or lighting, I would personally extend my hand to them in thanks. Look forward to seeing you (and hopefully many others) at the AGM this October 18, and as you say, game on! Ralph Lunn
  • First radioactive rice found in Japan   3 years 44 weeks ago
    I would be very careful what I eat from this area, especially when they say it has Cesium radiation in it! They are downplaying the safety because they don't want everyone to leave. Be safe and use the same zeolites that the power companies used to clean up the plants after the blast. Use zeolit and keep your body safe from cancer and radiation sickness - be safe and be sure!
  • Castlegar Minor Soccer Association to die?   3 years 44 weeks ago
    ...is a great alternative to hockey and I'm glad it's really getting off the ground in the Kootenays. ssanders had a good point; in many countries the Beautiful Game flourishes because of the PASSION involved--not by fancy fields, uniforms, rules and regs--and in spite of the infamous ''soccer moms'' (and dads). It starts from the ground up; if someone can ignite these kids' passion for footie, and show them that in Canada it's OK to not want to just grow up to play hockey, then maybe one of these kids may be on a Canadian World Cup team down the road. You just never know.
  • UBC Recognizes Local Educator's Outstanding Contributions to Rural Education   3 years 44 weeks ago
    Michael Balahura is both an intelligent and a modest man and I believe this is the perfect combination for a human being. I've had a teacher just like him, who always gave without expecting something in return. He gave me a lot of help when I couldn't get it done. I'm glad there are still people like them in this world.
  • New pot laws could overwhelm B.C. jails   3 years 44 weeks ago
    for pointing out the obvious, we are going towards the us system and how has that worked out? thought we could be saved by jack in 4 years not anymore. well ppl, get ready for your tax money too goto shit. wasting more money on jails etc. Canada is becoming more and more Americanized, get ready Canada. Shit is going to hit the fan. This is just the start I can agree on most aggravating factors, buts thats where it ends Good bye Canada. Also the bigger the crime, the bigger the price, a bigger deal on the street, more death's hello usa.
  • New pot laws could overwhelm B.C. jails   3 years 44 weeks ago
    Organized Crime in the 1920’s What a time the 1920’s was, with the party atmosphere it was certainly a time of great criminal activity, the prohibition laws in America and the world in an economic depression. The people turned more and more to criminal activity, organized criminals such as the American mobsters and European crime syndicates thrived, most common people looked upon these organizations as heroes. Criminals like Al Capone, Bonnie and Clyde and John Dillinger were headliners of the era. Jobs were scarce and people needed to provide for their families, gangsterism was dangerous but provided an easy way to make money. When the American government passed the Eighteenth amendments outlawing alcohol, people who enjoyed a drink became criminal for drinking. It was organized crime who supplied the booze. In January of 1920 the American government banned the sale and supply of alcohol, the government thought that this would curb crime and violence, Prohibition did not achieve it’s goals, leading more toward higher crime rates and excessive violence. Alcohol was seen as the devil advocate and banning the substance would help improve the quality of American lives. It caused an explosive growth in crime with more than double the amount of illegal bars and saloons operating than before prohibition, the government set up the Federal Prohibition Bureau to police prohibition, this did not deter people and organized crime became the main supplier of booze. With a large coastline it was almost impossible to police with only five percent of alcohol ever being confiscated. Bribing government officials was common, people were ever increasingly crafty in the way they would hide the alcohol, in hollowed out canes, false books and hip flask. Violence on the streets increased as unemployment rose, the closure of all alcohol related industries was the main reason behind increased unemployment, people who were hard working Americans suddenly were drinking a banned substance. Police resources that were used to fight other crime were diverted to the prevention of alcohol consumption. Criminal gangs supplied the booze and were ruthless with over inflated prices, fighting each other for control of the trade. A whole black market was created around alcohol. The quality of alcohol was poor and many people became sick, deaths from alcohol poisoning rose 400%, people will argue that alcohol was less easily obtainable before prohibition since the bootlegging industry was so immense that you could purchase alcohol on almost any street in America, many home products were of poor quality but people were very inventive about the making of home alcohol. Although a great idea in concept, prohibition was ultimately a failure; the public grew less respectful of the law. Drink driving increased and public drunkenness also increased. After thirteen long years the government finally saw that prohibition was not working it had created more of a problem than it solved, finally they abolished the prohibition laws, crime decreased and the criminal element was taken out of the industry. Organized crime in the 1920's flourished in America because of prohibition, and they did not stop there, after that era they simply went on to other markets with their new found wealth. Had prohibition never happened organized crime syndicates may not have become so wealthy or powerful.
  • Castlegar Minor Soccer Association to die?   3 years 44 weeks ago
    I believe that CMSA would do well putting more effort into coordinating parents and other volunteers and less on ever expanding facilities. We get the "we are going to have to fold" notice around the AGM and prior to spring soccer season annually. And yet, quoting the 2010 news letter: "Our past president…will be spearheading the development of facilities at Twin Rivers park. This is a fantastic setting, which we hope to develop even further into the best soccer facility in the West Kootenays", CMSA is putting far too many resources in fields, club houses and concessions and not enough focus on playing soccer. Hopefully the City of Castlegar will take this in consideration before committing to any costly upgrades for soccer facilities in town, such as the proposed further field expansions and club house/change rooms put forth in the Twin Rivers park planning sessions. With CMSA constantly pleading they are in jeopardy of folding, caution should be taken before spending any more tax payer money on these projects. Every year my wife and I have discussed with other parents the frustration of having once again signed up to volunteer, only to be told forms were lost, computers crashed or whatever. And once again a mad scramble and threat to fold. At some point you just get frustrated raising your hand, being ignored and once again being told there aren't enough volunteers. Soccer is simple; you need some enthusiastic kids, a ball, and something to pass for nets. Third world countries excel at soccer because the kids play soccer. We fail because we are too busy building fields, scheduling games, collecting shirt deposits and not enough time just playing. And, as I did with Jr. indoor soccer a couple years ago, if CMSA fails I am willing to stand out in the middle of the field with a whistle between 2 groups of kids (none wearing uniforms) and play soccer. Game on.
  • Combined air effort by police brings down marijuana grow operation on the ground   3 years 44 weeks ago
    cool story
  • Castlegar Minor Soccer Association to die?   3 years 44 weeks ago
    I am hopeful that parents will take up your challange Ralph. Thank you for your time and I wish your group the best going forward.
  • Sinixt begin appeal process over Perry Ridge ruling   3 years 44 weeks ago
    Not proving legal standing is a basic legal test that Aaron should have easily passed. He ought to be a little embarrassed:/
  • Castlegar to get our own indoor skatepark   3 years 44 weeks ago
    yeah maybe for 10 yr olds, otherwise it is not nearly big enough
  • Life as Betty....   3 years 45 weeks ago

It's not spam in the sense that some poor fool actually creates accounts, logs in, and posts this nonsense--often taking the time to make it sort of fit the story. As soon as we find one we delete it, but it sometimes takes a couple of hours...

• Life as Betty....   3 years 45 weeks ago
    Can someone block this psuedo-spam by scottja, including irrelevant links to allied.com just to boost the page rank. Also on the Rossland Real Food post.
  • OP/ED: Eating crow in defense of goats and chickens - City OCP falls short   3 years 45 weeks ago
    Very well said, Kyra -- there, eating that crow wasn't so painful after all, was it? Though home-raised chicken would taste better! Food security concerns are well-founded -- it isn't just a fad. Here in Rossland, I have no objections to neighbours raising a few chickens, and I encourage everyone to grow more vegetables instead of lawns. Of course, the chooks would have to be adequately protected from the guys who have been dining on local cats -- the coyotes, owls, and (I heard most recently) a gang of raccoons. Bears have also been blamed for a chicken slaughter that occurred last year ... electric fences, and wire mesh over the top of chicken enclosures and extending into the ground around them, are all recommended. I'd love to have chickens again myself, except that all my space is devoted to raising vegetables ... have to think about that ...