Recent comments

• OP/ED: Millennium Park not just for whiners   3 years 6 weeks ago
    Here are the comments I submitted to the City. No one ever acknowledged receiving them from the city, so I thought I’d post them here. Yep, it’s long-winded and whiny but at least here I will probably get some feedback. Feedback on Millennium/Twin Rivers park master plan: While I am impressed that Castlegar is seeking full public input, and I did attend the charrette, I find the current plan to be overly ambitious and does not accurately reflect the ideas presented by the general public. I feel the consulting firm came with too many ideas and most discussions were steered toward them, despite many comments from the audience endorsing a simpler and more nature friendly plan. Given the recent referendum results on the recreation centre expansion, I don’t believe there is any appetite in Castlegar to take on such elaborate upgrades to the park. Particularly considering that basic maintenance and upkeep are already a challenge for the city. Ideas presented (and mapped) 1. Lazy river – the facilitators did not seem to listen when people explained there are already decent swimming opportunities in the park (water levels rise for summer). A lazy river would be expensive to build and costly to maintain. Just do some clean up and add new sand to the existing swim areas. The plans, as drawn, will not pass a department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) review as it will destroy a significant fish fingerling area. Please consult a group like Golder Associates before perusing any expensive site design for a lazy river. 2. New road in and parking area – expensive and will destroy natural areas in the park. Just improve signage for Columbia ave down to the existing parking lot (and finish paving it) 3. Camping? Was talked about in early stages –looks like sensibility has taken it off the agenda. 4. Bike park – great idea. The proponents of this are willing to do the work themselves and will cost the city little for maintenance. 5. Soccer field upgrades (change rooms/ concession) – Castlegar soccer has gotten more than enough from the city. Let them pay for all these upgrades and provide on-going financial compensation for the year round maintenance of the soccer facilities. Their user fees should be much higher. 6. If the master plan is to be considered a long term “wish list” then the elimination of the snow and construction site dumping should be included in the plan. While it may be currently unfeasible, they should not be taken off the record and viable alternatives should be sought on an on-going basis. You are seeking public input for the park master plan, listen to the people who live in the 5th ave area – ignoring them will not make them go away. Priority should be given to maintenance over new projects. 1. Root damage to pathway needs to be fixed. Root prune edge of path annually, this is a common agricultural practice that could work for the path. 2. Sustainable water use. Grounds are over watered. I’ve observed the sprinklers running during rain storms and after weeks of rain, to the point the ground becomes squishy. This is an on-going problem for the soccer fields during the spring when they are used. Need moisture sensors for irrigation control. Water meters should be installed – should be true for all city water use. Set a good example. Annual flowers are a poor choice – how about xeroscaping? Fix all the line breaks and low spots where water pools. Holes and over saturation is leading to a mosquito problem in this area – potential for West Nile problems. 3. Bear aware. Install bear proof garbage cans (like Zukerberg). Remove all derelict fruit trees- 3rd ave side is bad for this. 4. Pave the rest of the parking lot – will stop people from doing donuts and raising dust 5. Quit using 5th ave area for city dumping ground. It’s a park. 6. Clean up the beaches and add some more sand – ban dogs. 7. Work with Terrasen and reclaim pipeline area Focus should be on use by the general public rather than special interest groups. Do an effective on site survey of who really uses the park. Not just who shows up at meetings. Remember that the park boarders on residential areas, must consider them during planning. 1. Change rooms are an expensive upgrade that will see limited use (a few times per year – only for soccer tournaments). Initial cost and on-going maintenance should be the responsibility of user groups. There are already excellent regulation soccer fields at the Rec Complex and Pass creek. 2. Outdoor gym is an excellent idea, general use. 3. Expand playground – family use is very high at this park. Make it a showcase for the city. 4. Create dog use zones, like Gyro in Trail and Lakeside in Nelson. Ie, no dogs on beach, dogs on leash on trails and main areas. Dog off leash in 5th ave area and pits. The main beach areas should be posted as “NO DOGS” – they are both a health and safety hazard in a public swimming area. 5. Anchored picnic tables and bbq’s would be great. 6. Wish list item - A basket ball courts with edges that would work for winter skating rink, could also be used for safe and contained skateboarding. 7. Directions and maintenance to Zukerberg 8. Visible signage to the park from Columbia.
  • 2010: Castlegar promotes pilot project for pesticides   3 years 6 weeks ago
    Time to move on eliminating pesticide in Castlegar city parks. Contractors were spraying the herbicide Trillion in the Twin Rivers/Millennium park today (July 6/2011) which contains 2,4-D: http://www.sierraclubchinook.org/Pesticides/docs/facts/2,4-Dfactsheet.pdf The City of Castlegar keeps telling us they are committed to eliminating pesticides from parks, when will it happen? Residents having been calling for this since 2006 "The majority of respondents (71.8%) favor eliminating the use of pesticides and herbicides in municipal parks. 12.5% of respondents indicated that they do not support such an initiative."- source http://www.castlegar.ca/pdfs/AnnualReport2006.pdf page 21.
  • No 'right' option in the HST referendum, but 'Yes' seems better than a return to PST and GST   3 years 6 weeks ago
    HST
    If the hst was included in the price, as it is in New Zealand, no one would even notice. The problem with our tax system is that it is added on at point of sale. It's a stupid system whether it be hst or gst/pst.
  • OP/ED: Millennium Park not just for whiners   3 years 7 weeks ago
    I believe that our young folks need stuff like this too. I think the over all plan is exciting and I for one am looking forward to moving ahead with some financial comittement from the City.
  • Do you have environmental toxic exposure?   3 years 7 weeks ago
    This can all be fixed by your diet, the gerson diet can help this alot, helps remove toxins
  • OP/ED: Millennium Park not just for whiners   3 years 7 weeks ago
    Something like this would be awesome, especially some biking trails AND jumps etc. This is a good bargain instead of updating the complex, still gives everyone something to do, because this town really needs it. I used to mountain bike, but alot of trails around here have been destroyed, thus turning off alot of bikers. It's really frustrating because mtbing was the only outlet that my friends and I had, but tearing down the trails and such actually discouraged us. The skate park helped, but we are mountain bikers and all and i'm sure the skateboarders/bmxer's would love to have the park more to themselves etc. Also when you ride the same spots in town for years, it gets really boring, this is part of the reason we all sold our bikes, didn't quite have trucks to go and drive to other trails. We all used to bike almost everyday, we would bike all over the place, up and down town about 3 or 4 times a day. If we can get a good trail and jumps etc, i'll have to buy a bike again. With small towns such as Castlegar, projects like these are crucial to kids development and keeping them out of trouble. Really the money shouldn't be a problem because this is our town, a small one, with very little to do, the more we invest into our kids the less trouble they will get in. Also tearing down the trails made us mad, because we are just trying to have fun, but they are just ruining it, just made us wanna create mischief, because to us, that was the message they were sending.
  • Police out in full force starting this weekend in summer CounterAttack   3 years 7 weeks ago
    I'm just mirroring the ridiculousness of kyra's blog, quite a hilarious read . Oh and just because your literate on the internet, doesn't make you a superior being LOL, but good luck telling yourself that. Also you can ban whoever you want, but that's just causes a temporary inconvenience
  • Do you have environmental toxic exposure?   3 years 7 weeks ago
    What if you have allergies that trigger some of the symptoms
    Dear Editor. Apparently Wanker is getting more ridiculous by the minute, if that is possible. Anyone who would take the time to log onto a community news source and write two words - "Suck it"- may be a good candidate to ban. I enjoy reading the intelligent, insightful, and debatable comment threads, with people expressing opinions, thoughts, and even arguments that at least took a brain cell or two to compose. In my humble opinion, some moron writing "suck it" in response to the Police trying to educate people and perhaps cut down on the number of people killed by the effects of drinking and driving, distracted driving etc, is a good candidate to perhaps not have his "voice" heard on here. Perhaps he can go find some internet site where he can just continue to throw out his highly intelligent blatherings, because obviously he can't string an intelligent thought together. Personally, I am sick and tired of reading it. I'm pretty sure a "poll" of regular readers would show that I'm not alone in thinking that perhaps Wanker should disappear. Since we can't make that happen in real life in order to spare precious oxygen, can he at least be made to find another means to spew his sad, non-intellectual, moronic comments? Just my thought on it. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Wanker,

While your commentary has been uniformly illiterate, moronic and intentfully offensive, I don't believe in censorship, and so have allowed you to say your peice.

This is where I draw the line , though - comments like "suck it", directed at ANYONE, will henceforth be deleted, and if I have to delete more than one of your comments, you will be blocked from the site.

How this plays out from here is entirely up to you.

Kyra Hoggan

Editor

I don't have to explain anything, all i have to say is suck it to them in general. Also it's the internet, i'll be as illiterate as i want, still got my point across.
    Dear Sir: I am calling you Sir because I am very certain you are not female. You are most probably a young, white male between the ages of 16 and 24, poorly educated, bad personal hygiene, socially inept, and by the posts you regularly make here, stupid. It is also obvious that you have some rudimentary computer skills and basic English. Why not put them to real use and write a piece explaining just why the police should "suck it". I am sure you must have some truly valid arguments why drunk driving should be tolerated, encouraged and supported by the police. I would really like to hear more from you - especially if you have something to say.
    suck it police
  • Get a grip on the steering wheel, carbon tax increases the hit at the pump   3 years 7 weeks ago
    Curious how do they spend the carbon tax.
  • Breaking news: Another accident in "Million-Dollar Alley"   3 years 7 weeks ago
    Raymond, the City does not need to be inspired. We are in fact doing our job. We work continuosly to make Castlegar a better and safer place for all residents. We meet with Ministers to discuss issues and have always got Castlegars back. Glad to see your back in swinging mode. Cheers Deb
    'Breaking News'? --- not really. The following letter was originally circulated in February of 2010. "The City of Castlegar has had a number of issues arise with the Ministry of Transport regarding the stretch of Highway 22 from Blueberry north into downtown Castlegar. The latest concern is regarding revisiting speed limits at the Industrial Park Intersection (The Brick / Trowellex / Thirsty Duck ...) *** >The Castlegar Source >"City pleads with province for safer limits along 'million-dollar alley' " > http://castlegarsource.com/node/4606 *** Previously, the City was apparently unable to take effective action around the Twin Rivers intersection, apparently because of the Ministry of Transportations jurisdiction. Similar concerns arose earlier around the proposed access routes to Grandview Heights. Speed limits along this entire stretch of road have been a concern for years. The City of Castlegar includes the neighbourhoods of Blueberry and Grandview Heights. Both areas have access from the same intersection on Highway 22. Perhaps the time has come to 'inspire' City Council to join a lobbying effort of the Provincial Government, to have the City of Castlegar take over responsibility for Highway 22 from the Blueberry intersection, north into the City, as an extension of Columbia Avenue." *** It was a good idea then ... it is a good idea now. Raymond Koehler 4363 Broadwater Road Castlegar BC V1N 4V7
  • OP/ED: Millennium Park not just for whiners   3 years 7 weeks ago
    Certainly I heard some of what you heard. I guess I missed the suggestion from the gentleman that all the other good ideas should be sacrificed in the name of peace and quiet. I left the meeting feeling there is enough room in our park to fulfill the aspirations of pretty well everyone. I might have been wearing my rose-coloured glasses - they're my favourites ;-)
  • OP/ED: Millennium Park not just for whiners   3 years 7 weeks ago

Lawrence,

I wouldn't have much use for a park that gave us no opportunity to commune with nature. I'm not opposed to peace and quiet.

Perhaps you and I heard different arguments put forth ....but the man I listened to was very clear. He wasn't asking for a section of the park to remain peaceful and au naturel, he was advocating against everything else.

He was very clear in wanting the city to do nothing but improve maintenance schedules.

He seemed quite content ... adamant, even ... for his "peace and quiet" to be at the expense of everyone else.

I hate overcrowding as much as the next guy, but gimme a break.

Regards,

Kyra Hoggan

Editor

• OP/ED: Millennium Park not just for whiners   3 years 7 weeks ago
    Kyra, I agree with most of what you say, but not about your take on the gentleman who asked for some peace and quiet in the park too. The park includes a lot of high energy and quite likely sometimes noisy developments: lazy river, soccer fields, exercise equipment, volleyball courts, bike skills park, dog area, and others. These developments will be a draw and an incredible public asset as they are created and I strongly support them. But due to costs implementing these initiatives will - wisely - take time. The peace and quiet request seems to me to also have a place in our community park - it's a big park - and peace and quiet has the additional benefit of being extraordinarily low cost and something we can do now. While the tone of some of the comments made by the "peace and quiet" advocate seemed a little off base, the request that we make room in this park for some peace and quiet as well as the high energy stuff seems quite reasonable. I'm sure over time the opportunity to enjoy a walk through a peaceful and quiet portion of the park will appeal to a number of community members, and be a park draw for them.
  • OP/ED: Millennium Park not just for whiners   3 years 7 weeks ago
    I couldnt agree more on both points: I think the park is an amazing space that should be used to promote Castlegar. We can build a beautiful park over several years without a ton of money spent. With projects like the bike park, the majority of costs will be donated. Local trail groups are able to fund-raise more than the city would be likely to give anyway. And you will never make everybody happy. We all do pay into it. We certainly pay enough property tax. I for one wouldn`t mind some of my tax going into this. www.castlegar-mtb.com
  • OP/ED: Oops ..where did you go??!?   3 years 7 weeks ago
    Wanker, if you want to be a critic then please state your real name. Thank you.
  • OP/ED: Oops ..where did you go??!?   3 years 7 weeks ago
    May I suggest that you return to your room with your latest Larry Flint publication unless you have already gone blind and exercise your right to not read the editor's comments if they offend you because your comments are sure boring me.
  • IHA and BCAS respond to Source regarding hospital/transport issues   3 years 7 weeks ago
    It is lovely to see how our public health care is failing day by day, and besides that they are making the private health care pay a lot of taxes just because they can. I've recently visited a private Fresno drug rehab center and they have state of the art equipment to treat the patients and really open minded people that pour all of their emotions and life in the job.
  • MP blasts Canada Post   3 years 7 weeks ago
    Sounds very much like the postal workers are being very badly mistreated. However, before I jump on this band wagon, I'd like to know just exactly how much postal workers earn and receive in benefits and how this compares to comparable jobs in the private sector. Once I have this I should better be able to guage how much sympathy I can have for their cause. Perhaps the media, unbiased as they are (or should be), would be so kind as make this information available to the general public. So far, all we seem to hear about, and all Mr Atamanenko and the NDP have focused on, is how dastardly Canada Post and the federal government are.
  • OP/ED: Oops ..where did you go??!?   3 years 7 weeks ago
    Sorry i had typo's, this post is just sad, what are you sippin on kyra.