Recent comments

• Why, oh, why, Wile-E? Local cats fast becoming a favourite snack for area coyotes   3 years 17 weeks ago
    I think Steve may be suggesting this woman has come into town and is hugging all the cats? And not giving them back??
    There are a number of grizzled experts who are fairly certain at least some of the cat disappearances are due to owls. Word on the street is someone recently witnessed, during the wee hours of the morning, a cat actually being carried off by an owl. There are also cougars, bobcats and skinny-looking stray(ish) dogs around town. Please keep your cats inside at night and let's hope this doesn't turn into a coyote witch-hunt (though I guess it would literally be a coyote-hunt)
    I am often criticized for having Juno be an exclusively indoor cat. She's pudgy and lazy - but she's alive! The predator situation around here is the main reason she stays indoors all the time. I couldn't bear the thought of her going missing and being a coyote or cougar snack.
    Steve, not sure what your point was with posting that video but it made my morning. I nearly snorted coffee out my nostrils when she went on about wanting cats in a basket and on a rainbow etc. Too freaking funny, man!
  • Police seize big-money pot production; local man facing charges   3 years 17 weeks ago
    Why so serious? Hahaha, no but seriously? You know whats wrong with some people, they take everything so super serial. Every once is a while some people should stop being so uptight. Besides it's the internet, what would happen if everything on the internet was taken so literally? You gotta keep the internet interesting, btw have you ever been to texas? Wanker - Your local troll :)
  • Water meter protests all wet   3 years 17 weeks ago
    1. The city is sending a contractor around without any significant advertising campaign or prior notice to gain entry into people’s homes. Considering the amount of natural gas companies, home security companies and health “life-line” services that constantly come to the door to make our lives better (when really they are just scams), no wonder people are turning your plumber away. Do better communication work prior to expecting a total stranger to be given access to people’s homes. The posting on the city's web-site is acceptable - just get the word out better. Not all our local residents are regular net surfers: http://castlegar.ca/pdfs/CU_AD10_Meter_PROOF1_R_1.pdf 2. Has the City installed water meters at all municipal buildings, parks and facilities yet (as promised)? And what will be the penalties if the city fails to meet its own water reduction goals? Please practice what you preach. Castlegar has a culture of green manicured lawns and gardens, with clear leadership from City parks and right-of-ways. Shape up or leave us alone. 3. Are businesses and industry being included in this metering project? Why is the city placing the blame for water consumption solely on residents? If all city water consumption is not monitored, how do we know the target reduction in treated water usage will even be met? 4. Bullying residents about water treatment cost at the same time as announcing a +$2million water pipeline project for Kinnaird bridge to city airport lands. Maybe the City needs a PR firm because really - what is your agenda? Do maintenance first, new projects second. I am sure the multi-million dollar project would go a long way to addressing the city's water treatment needs.
    wanker, you know what is funny? Kyra had mentioned that you seemed to have grown up a little, and were contributing some intelligent comments to the stories. Now this. Sad that you have digressed to stupidity again. Maybe smoke some more low quality dope. It seems to be working if your goal is to just make dumb comments on a public forum where those of us who want to hear what is going on come. For a comment or two, you sounded half with it. Ooops. My mistake.
  • The chemical romance that is Shambhala: three days of bliss   3 years 17 weeks ago
    Young people have too be chaperoned on the Shambhala premise, no one there is going to force drugs on them. Shambhala is nothing like you probably picture it as, there is drugs available, if you search around, but no ones is going too come up to them and be like oohh hey heres some drugs. Most teenagers around here do drugs anyway also do not put words into my mouth by saying there is no drugs there k thx ps there was only a few drug arrests :) couple people got caught for mdma and acid k thx bai
    Carol your are dangerous "I think it is sad that people have to find happiness in a joint there is so much else out there to live for. I encourage people to put their joint down. And pick a bible up." I feel really sorry for you "I think it is sad that people have to find happiness in a a non existant god there is so much else out there to live for. I encourage people to put their bible down. And light a joint up." Actually i encourage people just to put down the bible. Yet another bible thumper out there, that lives their life by a little made up book. People cannot live life to fullest because of religion, it permits them from making real-time crucial decisions among many other things. Maybe you should burn your bible and look into science, you might find that god doesn't actually exists. Take your religion and stick it somewhere nice. :) Have nice day ps don't even try to push religion on anyone or even suggest it.
    dam
    Yet another grower busted, oh well that means lower quality stuff all around I can't wait till all this bull stops
    No I did not assume they were drug users I just thought they could get more from life then an event that I see as dangerous.
    I know not everyone takes drugs but my concern was these young men might been swayed by those that push drugs. I was told there are lots of drugs there are you telling me there is not. What about all the arrests that took place. There are alot of young people I am very proud of and I see some that need a little tender loving care. I have concern with alcohol and legal drugs too both can be dangerous and young people need to be aware of that too. Music I love but I also love words that spur hope and life. I assure you I do not speak out of hate but love.
    Carol your ignorance amazes me, you seen kids on the road, so they automatically do drugs? Your logic is flawed, the fact remains that not everyone does drugs and if people do that is there own choice. People don't od on drugs, the people od themselves, because they don't know how to responsibly take drugs like you would with any other prescription drugs or even alcohol. There is so many other magical experiences to be had at Shambs, maybe you should lighten up and goto shambs, might show you a thing or too.. But the fact remains you don't and no one at Castlegar Source even has a clue what Shambhala is all about, it's not about the drugs, it's about the Music and Love all around, Shambhalove to be exact, something where you can't go anywhere else to experience, the best experience of my life and this was just my first shambs! People try their hardest to hate on Shambhala, they tell you all this crap to give it a bad name, but it's all bullshit. Haters gonna hate.
    This article begins with incorrect information and the writer should be encouraged to do research prior to publication. Online tickets went on sale in October 2010 and finally sold out close to mid May. That is much longer than 5 days. The reference to drug use and drug availability is played out and irrelevant. Nelson's population is comparable to that of the festival. If you had a contract security team conducting vehicle searches at all of Nelson's entry points, you'd be surprised at what they would find year round.
    You saw 4 young men on the highway and assumed they were drug users?
  • Why we need to stop trying to 'save the planet' and just realize our place in it   3 years 17 weeks ago
    Thank you to ‘The Castlegar Source’ for re-posting this article, which I’m glad to say has been shared widely on a number of internet and social media sites, and for choosing a brilliantly appropriate graphic to go with it. I’m trying to encourage a big-picture re-evaluation of human civilisation and such re-postings are extremely helpful. With respect to the previous comment, this appears to be a suggestion that one side of one debate with respect to civilisation’s effects on the ecosphere (CO2-induced climate change) should be brought into the sphere of legal confrontation. I think that would be a grave and short-sighted error. Working out the policy and technological solutions to environmental stability are going to require open, everything-on-the-table global discussions. All attempts to stymie such discussions are therefore counter productive in the long term. Regarding Earth’s total human population, bear in mind that it is already well on the road to stabilising. As recently as the 1970s, human population growth was out of control all over the place. But in the 21st century, the only areas where that holds are sub-Saharan Africa and parts of central Asia. What’s more, we understand very well the mechanisms by which fertility rates are brought down to replacement levels (teaching women to read and improving standards of living). Countries like Canada or the USA already have all the tools they needs (in terms of human capital, social cohesion and technological prowess) to move towards sustainable energy-use and resource-use profiles (although I’m not saying that it’s going to be easy). Whereas a country like Niger (where the fertility rate is 7 children per woman) does not. Eradicating absolute poverty in the world is arguably the first-priority goal to creating a civilisation that can exist in harmony with the ecosphere. That may sound like a tall order, but if you’re prepared to look at history in timescales of, say, 200 years, the reduction in absolute poverty which has taken place over that time has been decisive and radical. The momentum of poverty reduction is comprehensively positive. Overall, there is every reason to believe that, within timescales of a few centuries, we can have a world with a stable population, where GDP per head is increasing and civilisation’s underlying physical and energy-use infrastructure are broadly stable. There’s no reason we can’t do that. All the long-term trends point in the right direction. But we need to think bigger. If I can throw in an advertisement: as you can see, explaining the big-picture, Gaiaistic, pantheistic world view I’m proposing means setting out technical information in a range of different areas. That’s why a book was the only appropriate vehicle. That vehicle is fun: it’s a sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll, round-the-world travel adventure. Trust me, there are no boring bits. Please check it out. Regards Peter Baker www.thejollypilgrim.org
  • The chemical romance that is Shambhala: three days of bliss   3 years 18 weeks ago
    My heart broke when I saw 4 young men heading out there. It is a sad state of affairs when young people need to feel they need to use drugs to get excited about life.
  • The Rock 'N Art Show revealed in Robson   3 years 18 weeks ago
    I meant I was not much of an artist.
    I'm shocked that you'd even post such a sloppy article, let alone have such an uncouth articulate on your payroll. A few poorly written paragraphs followed by a "copy and paste" blurb from the website... now that's news - as long as you say catchy words like "Chemical Romance". The culture and the movement of the festival has so many levels to it - and this tid-bit is somehow noteworthy. It amazes me how such a boring community can have something so amazing under its nose, and not realize it. Even if you were going to talk about drugs and natural substances, let really talk about them - what are people doing, and why - why is it that people are so drawn to these choices - whats missing from our average everyday lives that this 5-day utopia becomes such a spectacle. As you can tell I'm a Shambhalite - but I've also never done chemical drugs. I've grown up having them around in all aspects of my life, and I don't think having them present there makes any difference. Intoxicants are a part of human nature - Shambhala is not about drugs, its about positive energy and BEING LOVED NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE OR WHAT YOU DO. It is a lot more special than this article portrays. You should look into hiring some young passionate individuals to write your articles, maybe you'll have something worth reading then.
  • The Rock 'N Art Show revealed in Robson   3 years 18 weeks ago

The "Bitter-sweet Symphony" comment could easily have gotten us all sued.

Please refrain from posting defamatory rants about other people.

Regards,

Kyra Hoggan

Editor

• Why we need to stop trying to 'save the planet' and just realize our place in it   3 years 18 weeks ago
    THIS planet lover is now a former believer and is happy and over joyed and relieved a crisis has been avoided. As for the rest of you..........why did you want this misery to be real? The Courts Will Deal With This Criminal Fear Mongering. You are not alone as part of the former believer voting majority in urging prosecutors to lay criminal chargers to the leading scientists and news editors for knowingly inciting this needless panic of CO2 climate crisis. Climate Change wasn’t sustainability. It was a death threat to billions of children and a criminal exaggeration. U.S. Department of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington,DC 20530-0001 By Phone: Department of Justice Main Switchboard -202-514-2000 Office of the Attorney General Public Comment Line -202-353-1555 CALL THE COURT HOUSE, NOW! Continued support of the CO2 mistake is hurting legitimate environmental efforts and social program advancements. Meanwhile, the UN, the media, academia and progressivism and the entire SCIENCE world had allowed carbon trading stock markets run by corporations and politicians to trump 3rd world fresh water relief, starvation rescue and 3rd world education for just over 25 years of climate CONTROL instead of the obviously needed POPULATION control.
  • Why the insurance industry gets climate change   3 years 18 weeks ago
  • Castlegar takes its Chances with new gaming casino, open today   3 years 18 weeks ago
    If you have any there is a forum on Monday at the Sandman from 8:30 to 12:30. I will be making a 10 minute presentation but they have encouraged me to stay for the whole thing not sure if I want to or not. Limited seating too so you might want to get there early.
  • The Rock 'N Art Show revealed in Robson   3 years 18 weeks ago
    Excited about the event. Not much of an artist but love the fact it is family oriented and who knows maybe I will get creative. I know I loved it as a child just cann't seem to find the time anymore.