Recent comments

• Squatters blamed for fire west of Nelson   3 years 27 weeks ago
    The question to ask here is: why do we have squatters in this wealthy province and country to begin with?
  • Squatters blamed for fire west of Nelson   3 years 27 weeks ago
    We???? You're on your own pal! Besides I wouldn't build these bums a house, they would trash it in no time @ all! They have no respect for other people.
  • Squatters blamed for fire west of Nelson   3 years 27 weeks ago
    We should build houses for these people,
  • Why, oh, why, Wile-E? Local cats fast becoming a favourite snack for area coyotes   3 years 27 weeks ago
    You just said you had a fat and lazy cat. How is that healthy? Other than being alive? I don't deny that statistics show longer lives for indoor cats, but I'd be ready to bet that those statistics are skewed by having a large proportion of the death of outdoor cats being at a very young age. A young kitten outside is very much at risk. If it lives past its first few years, it's likely to live a decently long life. In any case, what's longevity compared to quality of life? If your indoor cat has lots of places to climb, toys to play with, people to interact with while living indoors - chances are it's going to be pretty happy. But the outdoors provides lots of natural and healthy entertainment for cats - which is ideal if you're not always around to give attention to your cat. I've found indoor cats generally require a lot more attention.
    By your estimation, my friend who works in a hospital emergency room should be warning everyone not to drive car, ride a bike, or even walk in the city. And saying helmets aren't going to save people from dying from those activities. I don't have a problem with your cat living indoors if it's happy. There's no reason for harping on others who don't wish to deny their cats the pleasure of the very natural element of the outdoors in their lives.
  • Londoners talk about UK riots   3 years 27 weeks ago
    It is worth appreciating that the ordinary English (or Welsh, Irish, etc) person never regarded the disturbances as "UK" riots. They see them as urban disturbances in deprived areas of large cities. Non-urban areas of England objected just as much to the distortion as any. Scotland, Ireland and Wales are pointing out that calling it UK riots is not good for tourism in their nations. Several tour operators in these nations are also echoing the objections of government. They are fear loss in business due to the violence. BBC has acknowledged the objections and asked its reporters to use the term England riots instead of UK riots. It has since been shown that the Scottish tourist industry has been badly affected due to cancellation of bookings. This has affected peoples jobs. Just for the record. How the Vancouver riot was reported: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004127/Vancouver-riots-How-good-Samaritans-stood-mob.html?ITO=1490
  • Cancer takes Jack Layton at the age of 61   3 years 28 weeks ago
    R.i.p. Jack, Canada is so screwed for sure now. Such a same.
  • Londoners talk about UK riots   3 years 28 weeks ago

However, I wouldn't be surprised if a UK paper labelled, for example, Vancouver's recent hockey riot as a 'Canadian riot'. Still, I concede the point while noting that 'UK' is mostly how the press refers to that country.

• Why, oh, why, Wile-E? Local cats fast becoming a favourite snack for area coyotes   3 years 28 weeks ago
    All I can say is the other night It sounded like there were coyotes right outside my door never heard them that close before.
  • Are you pleased about the new gaming centre to open in Castlegar as soon as a year from now?   3 years 28 weeks ago
    Why take chances when you can count on a sure thing.
    I’ll add a few observations from an old timer here: Fifteen years ago my cat passed away peacefully from old age at 23. He was slow moving, white coloured, couldn’t hear and was a regular day and night time feature of our mid-town Rossland backyard. Two years later I received another cat, same policy and not a problem for 10 years until this July when it was killed by a coyote in our same backyard. Most years I have helped a lost stray back to their owner and even adopted a few of the less fortunate but not this year. There have been numerous sightings of coyotes in town lately, previously I had only seen them on the outskirts of town or heard them from a fair distance after an ambulance siren or some such. What has happened to bring coyotes into town and why is it so unsafe for small pets this year? Is it fluctuations in the predator/prey/host populations, introduction of chickens into town? Perhaps more importantly, what is this cat decimation telling us, what happens when the cats are all gone or locked up, are small dogs next? Should the grandkids be inside or playing in the backyard? All of these are reasonable questions to a larger problem.
    Casinos are causing social concerns in many neighborhoods. From an economic perspective they provide employment, yet s we know the issue of gambling can bring terrible problems to the social fabric. Bingo on the other hand has been played happily, without the many known addictive behaviors of other games. I imagine this is due to the low level of money that is passed and the controlled environment. Brandon http://www.doubledowncasino.com
    FYI, Deb is an animal control officer for a major Canadian city. Do you know how many kitty corpses she's scraped up off the streets because cats have been creamed by cars, or poisoned by humans? Trees, perches, porches, cat doors etc. weren't going to save any of those cats.
    I never said I'd keep my cat alive forever by keeping her inside! But she will live a longer, healthier life. A cat is not a child, obviously; it's absurd of you to compare them! (Oh, your kid will die anyway, so why take care of it? Get a grip, Phil!) I don't own a home, I rent one. I can't amend my yard, I can't amend my premises. It's a fact that statistically indoor cats live longer, healthier lives. It's as fact that outdoor cats are at greater risk for illnesses, injury, and predators. I'm not taking the risk.
    You can't keep your cat alive forever by keeping her indoor. Would you use the same argument with a child? Not letting them ski, bike, rock climb, go for a hike in the woods, drive a car... just because they might get hurt or die? You can do a lot to keep your cat safe from predators without confining it inside. You can fence your yard in. You can put in a cat door. You can make sure there are trees it can climb, or bushes to hide in. Porches or sheds it can run under. Garages to run into. Perches from where it can observe its surroundings. All those things will make your cat happy and safer when it is outside.
    What exactly is your definition of a roaming cat? And how would you prevent your cat from roaming, and still enjoy going outdoors? I had a cat that enjoyed roaming, it lived to the ripe old age of 13 or 14 years before disappearing this spring. Of course I was sad, but that's the way of nature. It would have died sooner or later, probably old and invalid if I'd kept it indoors all the time (should I lack sympathy for people who's indoor cat dies a long agonizing death because of kidney failure?!?). In the meantime, it kept the rodent population in check in and around my home, whether in the city or here in Rossland, while we kept each other warm and cozy through the winters.
    Incidentally, the number you call to report problem bears is the same number you call to report coyote sightings, so if you have any of the Bear Aware paraphernalia around, like the fridge magnets, for instance, that's the number to use: 1-877-952-7277.
    Kathy, I applaud you for having indoor cats! I get such a hard time from people for having Juno be 100% indoors, but she is perfectly happy, and yes, the vet bills are way cheaper, too. She doesn't need yearly shots, she doesn't get exposed to illnesses or diseases from other animals or cats, and she isn't going to become anyone's snack, or hit by a car. I think if you truly love your cat in this area, keep him/her indoors! With lots of toys and windows to look out of and a good cat condo, they're plenty stimulated and have enough stuff around to have a good time with.
    I too have been very upset hear about all the missing cats around town. I saw a very bold, sleek, well-fed coyote in my yard in lower Rossland just last week for the first time. This was at 9am. I called a couple neighbors and suggested they round up their outdoor cats. I have an unfortunate history with wildlife-feline interactions: before moving to Rossland, I lost one lovely little cat to some beast. I only found bits and pieces of her in the field next door. It was devastating. After that we only let our cats out during the day but even that was perilous. One early morning I had opened the cat door for my wonderful old Siamese. Within moments I heard a horrid scream. I ran outside and there was a huge coyote with my cat in his jaws! I yelled at him and believe it or not he dropped the cat and fled. I am sure it helped that I was in my "birthday suit" and to this day, that's enough to scare anyone! This story has a happy ending: the cat was injured but nothing the emergency vet and $1,200 couldn't fix. After that our cats all became 100% indoor cats and they are perfectly content. We have one old gal who adapted quite easily and two younger ones who have never been outdoors in their life. They are safe and happy- and my vet bills are way cheaper too.
    We lost or beloved Siamese cat two years ago when it decided to have one last look outside before dark. It never returned. We suspect a coyote was the villain. Since that time, I have purchased a sling shot from Canadian Tire and a bag of marbles at the Dollar Store. With a little practice at hand, I can now hit a two inch target at 100 feet. Sling shots are legal, they are easy to use and work wonders against bears, coyotes and, when camping, on people who love to hassle us campers. (yes I nailed a kid in the butt at Central Park in Vancouver who was throwing rocks at our camper) For twenty bucks, you can get a “good” slingshot that is also great for warding off nuisance animals and for women for personal self defence purposes. My wife is now a sling shot weapon carrier because when we travel around the province to horseshoe tournaments; she loves to take long walks and always carries her pet sling shot. It works wonders!
  • Water meter protests all wet   3 years 28 weeks ago
    An American flag connected to the phone number? Does this mean we are now to call an American contractor to install water meters?
  • Londoners talk about UK riots   3 years 28 weeks ago
    The riots took place in England - so why say that the riots were UK riots? They were specific to England. When there is trouble in Northern Ireland, its reported as trouble in Northern Ireland, not trouble in the UK If there was trouble in a State in Canada would you name the State or tarnish all of Canada with the the trouble? Interesting video.
    Anyone who moans about her/his "poor lost Kitty" need look no further than the mirror for the reason a "beloved" pet has died a horrible death. Allowing cats to roam is irresponsible and stupid. Cats are domesticated animals who have no ability to defend themselves against predators, be they other four-legged animals, humans or machines. I have NO sympathy for anyone who loses a cat allowed to roam. My sympathy is for the poor cat who deserved a responsible home and was failed.
  • Llamas loose on local lawn   3 years 28 weeks ago
    It's not normal for llamas to be kept with halters on. That is both dangerous when unsupervised and harmful if left on long term. That makes "escaped llamas" suspicious if they were found with them. I'd suspect they were dumped by someone that could no longer care for them with the hope someone else would adopt them. Irresponsible, yes, but it's happening all too frequently these days with camelid and equine pets as folks come on hard times. They are nice looking llamas, btw. Scott http://www.rattlesnakeridgeranch.com
    I think Steve may be suggesting this woman has come into town and is hugging all the cats? And not giving them back??