Recent comments

• The Rock 'N Art Show revealed in Robson   3 years 11 weeks ago
    I meant I was not much of an artist.
  • The chemical romance that is Shambhala: three days of bliss   3 years 11 weeks ago
    I'm shocked that you'd even post such a sloppy article, let alone have such an uncouth articulate on your payroll. A few poorly written paragraphs followed by a "copy and paste" blurb from the website... now that's news - as long as you say catchy words like "Chemical Romance". The culture and the movement of the festival has so many levels to it - and this tid-bit is somehow noteworthy. It amazes me how such a boring community can have something so amazing under its nose, and not realize it. Even if you were going to talk about drugs and natural substances, let really talk about them - what are people doing, and why - why is it that people are so drawn to these choices - whats missing from our average everyday lives that this 5-day utopia becomes such a spectacle. As you can tell I'm a Shambhalite - but I've also never done chemical drugs. I've grown up having them around in all aspects of my life, and I don't think having them present there makes any difference. Intoxicants are a part of human nature - Shambhala is not about drugs, its about positive energy and BEING LOVED NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE OR WHAT YOU DO. It is a lot more special than this article portrays. You should look into hiring some young passionate individuals to write your articles, maybe you'll have something worth reading then.
  • The Rock 'N Art Show revealed in Robson   3 years 11 weeks ago

The "Bitter-sweet Symphony" comment could easily have gotten us all sued.

Please refrain from posting defamatory rants about other people.

Regards,

Kyra Hoggan

Editor

• Why we need to stop trying to 'save the planet' and just realize our place in it   3 years 11 weeks ago
    THIS planet lover is now a former believer and is happy and over joyed and relieved a crisis has been avoided. As for the rest of you..........why did you want this misery to be real? The Courts Will Deal With This Criminal Fear Mongering. You are not alone as part of the former believer voting majority in urging prosecutors to lay criminal chargers to the leading scientists and news editors for knowingly inciting this needless panic of CO2 climate crisis. Climate Change wasn’t sustainability. It was a death threat to billions of children and a criminal exaggeration. U.S. Department of Justice 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington,DC 20530-0001 By Phone: Department of Justice Main Switchboard -202-514-2000 Office of the Attorney General Public Comment Line -202-353-1555 CALL THE COURT HOUSE, NOW! Continued support of the CO2 mistake is hurting legitimate environmental efforts and social program advancements. Meanwhile, the UN, the media, academia and progressivism and the entire SCIENCE world had allowed carbon trading stock markets run by corporations and politicians to trump 3rd world fresh water relief, starvation rescue and 3rd world education for just over 25 years of climate CONTROL instead of the obviously needed POPULATION control.
  • Why the insurance industry gets climate change   3 years 11 weeks ago
  • Castlegar takes its Chances with new gaming casino, open today   3 years 11 weeks ago
    If you have any there is a forum on Monday at the Sandman from 8:30 to 12:30. I will be making a 10 minute presentation but they have encouraged me to stay for the whole thing not sure if I want to or not. Limited seating too so you might want to get there early.
  • The Rock 'N Art Show revealed in Robson   3 years 11 weeks ago
    Excited about the event. Not much of an artist but love the fact it is family oriented and who knows maybe I will get creative. I know I loved it as a child just cann't seem to find the time anymore.
  • Boundary Sawmills scrambles for $1 million to close mill purchase in Midway   3 years 11 weeks ago

There has been $60,000 raised towards the goal of $800,000 needed to pay off an American lender as the village of Midway attempts to save their sawmill, reports The Vancouver Province.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Money+save+Midway+mill+trickling/5237551/story.html#ixzz1Uh7jrMqO

• Fortis/Smart Meters: Innovation and controversy heading your way   3 years 11 weeks ago
    Smart Meters are not good, they log alot of your data, plus a whole lot of other stuff, trust me if this happens, you will see & hear what happens.
  • Gaming centre construction to begin this month   3 years 11 weeks ago
    Many residents in and around this project are waiting to see the results of such a large venture in its town. The long term affects will either make or break the social fabric and the community as we currently enjoy.
  • Fortis/Smart Meters: Innovation and controversy heading your way   3 years 12 weeks ago
    The other implication, which Fortis seems to have neglected to inform us about, is that smart meters will lead to time-of-use billing rates - as is done in Ontario now. While major cities run into peak power demand brown outs, this is a non-issue in the Kootenays. Time-of-use rates would simply be a cash grab and another example of where industries are favoured over individuals. Time-of-use rates force individuals to use electricity in non-peak hours, freeing up power for industry and export during peak times. If implemented, time-of-use rates wil mean you and I will be doing laundry and dishes in the middle of the night or pay a lot more and we will all learn what that 3 hr delay button is for on our new appliances.
    I'm failing to see the benefits outweighing the costs (fiscal and healthwise). My understanding is that in some parts of Ontario electricity bills have nearly doubled since the installation of smart metres. I'm also curious what this means for the traditional jobs of metre readers in rural BC. Is this yet another move that will move higher tech, higher paying jobs to larger centres? I agree with CK. We need to be more judicious with energy consumption...but I haven't seen any evidence of a longterm plan in BC to show how these metres would actually accomplish this. Wi-Fi and cumulative longterm EMF exposure from smart metres is also an issue that is too new to have been properly researched. As much as BC Hydro and others can claim smart metres are safe, the truth is that we simply don't know, and there are many independent, non profit organizations, medical professionals and others raising alarm bells over how smart metres, wi-fi in schools, etc. influence cancer risk factors. We just don't know what this does to developing fetuses, children, people with heart arrhythmias or others who are more vulnerable to radiation health effects...but it certainly can't be beneficial to them. We advise pregnant women not to get x-rays, get our homes tested for radon gas (2nd leading cause of lung cancer), cancer rates are higher in areas where power lines are located nearby, etc......so why would we embrace this smart metre technology that poses "potential risks" and doesn't actually seem to be "essential"? The other issue is choice. People can choose whether or not to have wi-fi internet in their homes, use cell and portable phones, etc. However smart metres do not seem to give people a choice....other than to go without electricity altogether. Not so great for someone who relies on home oxygen or other technology to survive. I would really like to see Fortis offer an "opt out" option.
    ...that ultimately something has to be done about water and power usage and in many countries such as in Europe metered utilities are a fact of life because there isn't the abundance of natural resources that Canada has, plus there's a lot more population. Put the conspiracy theory arguments and the price gouging arguments aside for just a sec. How many resources are people in the Western World using? Even in the Kootenays, where water and trees are in abundance, people take those resources very much for granted. Do people really need to power-wash their driveways every weekend? Do people constantly need the heating in winter and air conditioning in summer on just because they're slightly uncomfortable? Do they need to take their cars for the slightest short errand? I think that smart meters are good in the sense that it makes people more aware of how many of the world's resources they're consuming. I don't necessarily think that the utility companies are going about it the right way and I think that people are right to be cautious about the possibility of price gouging but I think that in general, it's the First World's fault. We did this to ourselves by over-consuming.
  • Local dad says LG "joke" no laughing matter   3 years 12 weeks ago
    I would be interested in helping putting a meeting together. I must admit I am not the best organizer or speaker. But I will do the best I can and any leg or phoning whatever just if there is someone that can put it together. This is far too important to let my inabilities to stop me if we can get a good group of people together who can work together listening to one anouther and putting forth helpful idea not just negative critisism I think this could be something that could really benifit our youth. I am easy to get a hold of. I realize we are all very busy but I think our children are worth it.
  • Castlegar takes its Chances with new gaming casino, open today   3 years 12 weeks ago
    Still cann't help thinking one persons winning is anouther persons loss. Basically we are being entertained at someone elses expense I find our society bad for that.
    Care to explain why you think that?
    That video is unnecessarily alarmist. Smart meters can't figure out what you're turning on inside the house. They're just tracking power use throughout the day. It does bring up an important point though: who has control over the data. What precisely is collected, what is the information used for, how long is the information kept for, and who has access to it? But when it comes right down to it, the power company could easily do this with our without your consent. They could mount the meters on their poles, which would net them the same information, at least for single service properties.

No, casabonita, this facility isn't designed for air travellers. If that was the case, it would close its doors in a month. It's designed for local seniors, who can often ill-afford to gamble.

Not sure about your reference to small town newspapers having town hall meetings, I'm afraid!

Just came back from the Casino to see what all the excitement was. First thing I notice is a man walking back to his car and he wasn't leaping and jumping for joy. So I am going to assume he lost money he ended up going right passed his car was probably thinking about his loses and not where he was going. Next I notice 2 ATM machines at the door and a man walking out to the casino to the machine do you think he was depositing his winnings or looking for more cash. Looks like a prison to me lots of bars and security.
    MUST-SEE 4-minute youtube video on Smart meters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8JNFr_j6kdI
    I think its totally nuts for bc hydro to spend a billion and fortis to spend 40 million dollars on the smart meters.
  • What are YOUR thoughts on nude beaches? Are they sick degradation ...or the ultimate expression of self?   3 years 12 weeks ago

I'll be damned, Wanker.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Good on ya'!

Regards,

Kyra Hoggan

Editor

ye
    people should be able to do what they want with their body, but in a place for it, like a private beach
    isn't it at the airport to entertain people that are stuck due to delayed or cancelled flights? I love the jump from bored people at the 'Gar airport to meth heads selling to the children of the 'Gar. BTW the #1 money laundering spot in Canada? Nelson,BC! It explains the 80 cafes in a town of 9000. Also all the 'CASH only' places. Small town newspapers really add to the credibility of the show Parks and Rec, when they have the town hall meetings. Awesome.
  • Why the BC Liberal government doesn't value your life   3 years 12 weeks ago
    Being a member of the pro life movement not suprized not to may people do. Kind of ironic don't kill my kids one of the signs says. I could say the same thing except I say let your babies live. Oops forgot about the euthenasia.