Recent comments

• Are you pleased about the new gaming centre to open in Castlegar as soon as a year from now?   3 years 22 weeks ago
    Casinos are causing social concerns in many neighborhoods. From an economic perspective they provide employment, yet s we know the issue of gambling can bring terrible problems to the social fabric. Bingo on the other hand has been played happily, without the many known addictive behaviors of other games. I imagine this is due to the low level of money that is passed and the controlled environment. Brandon http://www.doubledowncasino.com
  • Why, oh, why, Wile-E? Local cats fast becoming a favourite snack for area coyotes   3 years 22 weeks ago
    FYI, Deb is an animal control officer for a major Canadian city. Do you know how many kitty corpses she's scraped up off the streets because cats have been creamed by cars, or poisoned by humans? Trees, perches, porches, cat doors etc. weren't going to save any of those cats.
    I never said I'd keep my cat alive forever by keeping her inside! But she will live a longer, healthier life. A cat is not a child, obviously; it's absurd of you to compare them! (Oh, your kid will die anyway, so why take care of it? Get a grip, Phil!) I don't own a home, I rent one. I can't amend my yard, I can't amend my premises. It's a fact that statistically indoor cats live longer, healthier lives. It's as fact that outdoor cats are at greater risk for illnesses, injury, and predators. I'm not taking the risk.
    You can't keep your cat alive forever by keeping her indoor. Would you use the same argument with a child? Not letting them ski, bike, rock climb, go for a hike in the woods, drive a car... just because they might get hurt or die? You can do a lot to keep your cat safe from predators without confining it inside. You can fence your yard in. You can put in a cat door. You can make sure there are trees it can climb, or bushes to hide in. Porches or sheds it can run under. Garages to run into. Perches from where it can observe its surroundings. All those things will make your cat happy and safer when it is outside.
    What exactly is your definition of a roaming cat? And how would you prevent your cat from roaming, and still enjoy going outdoors? I had a cat that enjoyed roaming, it lived to the ripe old age of 13 or 14 years before disappearing this spring. Of course I was sad, but that's the way of nature. It would have died sooner or later, probably old and invalid if I'd kept it indoors all the time (should I lack sympathy for people who's indoor cat dies a long agonizing death because of kidney failure?!?). In the meantime, it kept the rodent population in check in and around my home, whether in the city or here in Rossland, while we kept each other warm and cozy through the winters.
    Incidentally, the number you call to report problem bears is the same number you call to report coyote sightings, so if you have any of the Bear Aware paraphernalia around, like the fridge magnets, for instance, that's the number to use: 1-877-952-7277.
    Kathy, I applaud you for having indoor cats! I get such a hard time from people for having Juno be 100% indoors, but she is perfectly happy, and yes, the vet bills are way cheaper, too. She doesn't need yearly shots, she doesn't get exposed to illnesses or diseases from other animals or cats, and she isn't going to become anyone's snack, or hit by a car. I think if you truly love your cat in this area, keep him/her indoors! With lots of toys and windows to look out of and a good cat condo, they're plenty stimulated and have enough stuff around to have a good time with.
    I too have been very upset hear about all the missing cats around town. I saw a very bold, sleek, well-fed coyote in my yard in lower Rossland just last week for the first time. This was at 9am. I called a couple neighbors and suggested they round up their outdoor cats. I have an unfortunate history with wildlife-feline interactions: before moving to Rossland, I lost one lovely little cat to some beast. I only found bits and pieces of her in the field next door. It was devastating. After that we only let our cats out during the day but even that was perilous. One early morning I had opened the cat door for my wonderful old Siamese. Within moments I heard a horrid scream. I ran outside and there was a huge coyote with my cat in his jaws! I yelled at him and believe it or not he dropped the cat and fled. I am sure it helped that I was in my "birthday suit" and to this day, that's enough to scare anyone! This story has a happy ending: the cat was injured but nothing the emergency vet and $1,200 couldn't fix. After that our cats all became 100% indoor cats and they are perfectly content. We have one old gal who adapted quite easily and two younger ones who have never been outdoors in their life. They are safe and happy- and my vet bills are way cheaper too.
    We lost or beloved Siamese cat two years ago when it decided to have one last look outside before dark. It never returned. We suspect a coyote was the villain. Since that time, I have purchased a sling shot from Canadian Tire and a bag of marbles at the Dollar Store. With a little practice at hand, I can now hit a two inch target at 100 feet. Sling shots are legal, they are easy to use and work wonders against bears, coyotes and, when camping, on people who love to hassle us campers. (yes I nailed a kid in the butt at Central Park in Vancouver who was throwing rocks at our camper) For twenty bucks, you can get a “good” slingshot that is also great for warding off nuisance animals and for women for personal self defence purposes. My wife is now a sling shot weapon carrier because when we travel around the province to horseshoe tournaments; she loves to take long walks and always carries her pet sling shot. It works wonders!
  • Water meter protests all wet   3 years 22 weeks ago
    An American flag connected to the phone number? Does this mean we are now to call an American contractor to install water meters?
  • Londoners talk about UK riots   3 years 22 weeks ago
    The riots took place in England - so why say that the riots were UK riots? They were specific to England. When there is trouble in Northern Ireland, its reported as trouble in Northern Ireland, not trouble in the UK If there was trouble in a State in Canada would you name the State or tarnish all of Canada with the the trouble? Interesting video.
    Anyone who moans about her/his "poor lost Kitty" need look no further than the mirror for the reason a "beloved" pet has died a horrible death. Allowing cats to roam is irresponsible and stupid. Cats are domesticated animals who have no ability to defend themselves against predators, be they other four-legged animals, humans or machines. I have NO sympathy for anyone who loses a cat allowed to roam. My sympathy is for the poor cat who deserved a responsible home and was failed.
  • Llamas loose on local lawn   3 years 22 weeks ago
    It's not normal for llamas to be kept with halters on. That is both dangerous when unsupervised and harmful if left on long term. That makes "escaped llamas" suspicious if they were found with them. I'd suspect they were dumped by someone that could no longer care for them with the hope someone else would adopt them. Irresponsible, yes, but it's happening all too frequently these days with camelid and equine pets as folks come on hard times. They are nice looking llamas, btw. Scott http://www.rattlesnakeridgeranch.com
    I think Steve may be suggesting this woman has come into town and is hugging all the cats? And not giving them back??
    There are a number of grizzled experts who are fairly certain at least some of the cat disappearances are due to owls. Word on the street is someone recently witnessed, during the wee hours of the morning, a cat actually being carried off by an owl. There are also cougars, bobcats and skinny-looking stray(ish) dogs around town. Please keep your cats inside at night and let's hope this doesn't turn into a coyote witch-hunt (though I guess it would literally be a coyote-hunt)
    I am often criticized for having Juno be an exclusively indoor cat. She's pudgy and lazy - but she's alive! The predator situation around here is the main reason she stays indoors all the time. I couldn't bear the thought of her going missing and being a coyote or cougar snack.
    Steve, not sure what your point was with posting that video but it made my morning. I nearly snorted coffee out my nostrils when she went on about wanting cats in a basket and on a rainbow etc. Too freaking funny, man!
  • Police seize big-money pot production; local man facing charges   3 years 22 weeks ago
    Why so serious? Hahaha, no but seriously? You know whats wrong with some people, they take everything so super serial. Every once is a while some people should stop being so uptight. Besides it's the internet, what would happen if everything on the internet was taken so literally? You gotta keep the internet interesting, btw have you ever been to texas? Wanker - Your local troll :)
  • Water meter protests all wet   3 years 22 weeks ago
    1. The city is sending a contractor around without any significant advertising campaign or prior notice to gain entry into people’s homes. Considering the amount of natural gas companies, home security companies and health “life-line” services that constantly come to the door to make our lives better (when really they are just scams), no wonder people are turning your plumber away. Do better communication work prior to expecting a total stranger to be given access to people’s homes. The posting on the city's web-site is acceptable - just get the word out better. Not all our local residents are regular net surfers: http://castlegar.ca/pdfs/CU_AD10_Meter_PROOF1_R_1.pdf 2. Has the City installed water meters at all municipal buildings, parks and facilities yet (as promised)? And what will be the penalties if the city fails to meet its own water reduction goals? Please practice what you preach. Castlegar has a culture of green manicured lawns and gardens, with clear leadership from City parks and right-of-ways. Shape up or leave us alone. 3. Are businesses and industry being included in this metering project? Why is the city placing the blame for water consumption solely on residents? If all city water consumption is not monitored, how do we know the target reduction in treated water usage will even be met? 4. Bullying residents about water treatment cost at the same time as announcing a +$2million water pipeline project for Kinnaird bridge to city airport lands. Maybe the City needs a PR firm because really - what is your agenda? Do maintenance first, new projects second. I am sure the multi-million dollar project would go a long way to addressing the city's water treatment needs.
  • Police seize big-money pot production; local man facing charges   3 years 23 weeks ago
    wanker, you know what is funny? Kyra had mentioned that you seemed to have grown up a little, and were contributing some intelligent comments to the stories. Now this. Sad that you have digressed to stupidity again. Maybe smoke some more low quality dope. It seems to be working if your goal is to just make dumb comments on a public forum where those of us who want to hear what is going on come. For a comment or two, you sounded half with it. Ooops. My mistake.
  • The chemical romance that is Shambhala: three days of bliss   3 years 23 weeks ago
    Young people have too be chaperoned on the Shambhala premise, no one there is going to force drugs on them. Shambhala is nothing like you probably picture it as, there is drugs available, if you search around, but no ones is going too come up to them and be like oohh hey heres some drugs. Most teenagers around here do drugs anyway also do not put words into my mouth by saying there is no drugs there k thx ps there was only a few drug arrests :) couple people got caught for mdma and acid k thx bai
    Carol your are dangerous "I think it is sad that people have to find happiness in a joint there is so much else out there to live for. I encourage people to put their joint down. And pick a bible up." I feel really sorry for you "I think it is sad that people have to find happiness in a a non existant god there is so much else out there to live for. I encourage people to put their bible down. And light a joint up." Actually i encourage people just to put down the bible. Yet another bible thumper out there, that lives their life by a little made up book. People cannot live life to fullest because of religion, it permits them from making real-time crucial decisions among many other things. Maybe you should burn your bible and look into science, you might find that god doesn't actually exists. Take your religion and stick it somewhere nice. :) Have nice day ps don't even try to push religion on anyone or even suggest it.
    dam
    Yet another grower busted, oh well that means lower quality stuff all around I can't wait till all this bull stops
    No I did not assume they were drug users I just thought they could get more from life then an event that I see as dangerous.