LETTER: A 'thank you' to those who came through in a crisis, from Babe's Automotive
Chris Carlson and Ronni Nickel of Babe's Automotive would like to thank all of our friends and neighbours who showed their support during this difficult time.
An extra-special thanks goes out to the volunteer firefighters of Cresent Valley, Beasly and Tarrys for keeping the fire contained to the shop, saving our house as well as the neighbours' houses.
We would also like to thank The Biggest Little Fruit Stand, Maple Leaf Store, Frog Peak Cafe, Mount Sentinel Farms and The Dam Inn for sending food and drinks for the firefighters and others who helped out during the fire.
We are beginning the rebuilding process and hope to be back at your service in the fall.
A South Slocan business owner and staff are lucky to be alive after a fire ripped through their automotive shop Friday morning.
At around 10 a.m. a Babe’s Automotive employee on Sentinel Road one kilometer east of the junction of Highway 3A and 6 was working in the shop on a vehicle when a nearby gas tank was sliced and started a fire.
Employees grabbed a fire extinguisher but the flames spread quickly forcing the employees to exit the shop.
Explosions could be heard from residents in the South Slocan.
Fire departments from Beasley, Tarrys and Crescent Valley responded to a blaze and with the assistance of water from FortisBC and residential hydrants in the area, the fire was quickly brought under control by noon, saving an adjacent house.
However, the business owner lost the building and at least 10 vehicles that were damaged during the fire.
Firefighters from Crescent Valley remained at the scene most of the day to mop up any hotspots.
No one was injured in the blaze.
Three alarm blaze at Playmor Junction
Fire departments from Beasley, Tarrys and Crescent Valley responded to a blaze near the junction of Highway 3A and 6 Friday on Sentinel Road.
Eye witness Lenny Popoff told EZ Rock Radio he was working this morning when he saw flames shooting up into the sky on Sentinel Road near Playmor Junction.
He says he saw a big mushroom cloud at a shop in the area, with flames going 60 feet high.
At this time there's no report of injuries.
The blaze appears to be now under control.
—with files from EZ Rock Radio