The Castlegar CIBC was evacuated Wednesday afternoon after employees began smelling smoke throughout the building. Fire chief Gerry Rempel said his department received a call at 12:33 p.m., and arrived at the bank to find a problem with the building's heating system, which had recently been serviced.
"A filter fell down onto a belt and pulley," he said. "The friction caused a lot of smoke, which went through the whole duct system (and thus throughout the building)."
The problem was easily solved, he added, and workers were back in the building by 1:30 p.m.