The first annual Nelson Safe Boating event, set for Saturday, May 25 at Lakeside Park, is hosted by Sail Nelson the Kootenay’s own Sail Canada accredited sailing school.
Sail Nelson’s founder, owner, and lead Sailing Instructor, Penny Caldwell, saw an opportunity for an event like this and gathered her team to make it happen.
Through strong support from Nelson Search and Rescue, local first responder agencies, local governments, retailers, suppliers, and many others, Sail Nelson is proud to present the first annual Nelson Safe Boating event.
Sail Nelson has received confirmation from many industry partners who will attend the event including:
- Nelson SAR
- BC Conservation Service
- Nelson Fire Department
- Nelson Police Department (NPD)
- Kootenay Emergency Response Physicians Association (KERPA)
- Friends of Kootenay Lake Stewardship Society (FOKLSS)
- Nelson Kayak and Canoe Club
- Canadian Power Squadron - Kootenay Squadron
- OneFire Safety
- Canadian Safe Boating Council
Key messages for the public will include:
- Wear a PFD or Lifejacket
- Don’t Drink & Boat
- Take a Boating Course
- Be Prepared, Both You and Your Vessel
- Be Wary of the Dangers of Cold Water Immersion
Further information can be found at the event Facebook page, Sail Nelson’s website, or by contacting Penny at email@example.com.