As new COVID-19 cases continue to increase across BC, so do the numbers of new cases in the Kootenay region.
And again, the Nelson area has seen another increase after the BC Centre of Disease Control Wednesday released is most recent data, from August 15-21, 2021.
Nelson saw an increase of almost 30 per cent from the previous week, topping the Kootenay Boundary with 153 new COVID-19 cases according to the BCCDC weekly Geographic Distribution of COVID-19 by Local Health Area of Case Residence map.
The Nelson area, including the Heritage City, stretches from Slocan in the north of Salmo in the south.
The Nelson area reported 117 new COVID-19 cases from the period of August 8-14, 2021.
Trail and Castlegar each reported 36 and 33 new COVID-19 cases respectively while in the Boundary region, Grand Forks had 18 new cases while Kettle Valley had three.
In the East Kootenay, Cranbrook and Creston each reported 56 cases while Fernie had 32 and Golden and Revelstoke reported 23 and 24, respectively.
Kimberley reported 14 new COVID-19 cases.
The numbers are more alarming in the Central Okanagan, where the Kelowna area reported 737 new COVID-19 cases while Kamloops had 193 and Vernon and Salmon Arm, 133 and 79 respectively.
Wednesday, the BC Public Health Office reported 698 new cases of COVID-19 in the province, with 252 in Interior Health.
There are currently 1,911 total active cases in Interior Health.
The overall case count includes:
- 203 new cases in Fraser Health — Total active cases: 1,294
- 129 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health — Total active cases: 1,347
- 252 new cases in Interior Health — Total active cases: 1,911
- 45 new cases in Northern Health — Total active cases: 322
- 69 new cases in Island Health — Total active cases: 470
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada — Total active cases: 12
In the past 24 hours, one new death (Fraser Health) has been reported, for an overall total of 1,802.
The most recent data map shows Nelson with the most new COVID-19 cases in the Kootenays with 153. — BCCDC
There have been two new health-care facility outbreaks at Brock Fahrni (Vancouver Coastal Health) and Spring Valley Care Centre (Interior Health), for a total of 14 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care: Heritage Village (Fraser Health)
- Brock Fahrni (Vancouver Coastal Health)
- Village at Mill Creek - second floor
- Nelson Jubilee Manor
- Kootenay Street Village
- Cottonwoods Care Centre
- Brookhaven Care Centre
- Spring Valley Care Centre (Interior Health)
- Peace Arch Hospital (Fraser Health)
Assisted or independent living:
- Nicola Meadows
- Hawthorn Park
- David Lloyd
- Sun Pointe Village
- Hardy View Lodge (Interior Health)
From Aug. 10-23, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 83.3% of cases and 85.0% of hospitalizations.
Cases (Aug. 23):
- Unvaccinated: 372 (68.4%)
- Partially vaccinated: 53 (9.7%)
- Fully vaccinated: 119 (21.9%)
Cases (Aug. 17-23):
- Unvaccinated: 3,051 (66.8%)
- Partially vaccinated: 535 (16.5%)
- Fully vaccinated: 752 (16.6%)
- Hospitalizations (Aug. 10-23):
- Unvaccinated: 144 (77.0%)
- Partially vaccinated: 15 (8.0%)
- Fully vaccinated: 28 (15.0%)