Poll

Chimney the source of Monday night's house fire

Kyra Hoggan
By Kyra Hoggan
December 14th, 2010

 Castlegar fire crews were called out at just after 8 p.m., to a fire on Lynnwood Crescent in the Oglow subdivision.

Fire Chief Gerry Rempel said the fire started in the chimney, but spread into at least one wall.   “We’ll have to get in there and have a look – obviously, there was something wrong there that allowed the fire (in the fireplace) to spread into the adjoining wall,” he said, adding preliminary estimates put the damage at around $5,000, but that’s more guess than certainty at this stage of the investigation.   No one was injured and Rempel said the resident, who was home at the time, did everything right.   “The smoke damage is minimal because he called it in so quickly – as soon as the smoke made him think something might be wrong with his chimney,” Rempel said. “So we were able to get fans in right away for ventilation.”   Fire crews already had the blaze extinguished and mop up started by 9 p.m.

 

 

 
 

Categories: General

Comments

13°C Overcast Clouds

Other News Stories

Opinion