Poll

Substanial gas leak at Castlegar Primary caused by vandalism

Kyra Hoggan
By Kyra Hoggan
July 22nd, 2013

The investigation of a natural gas leak at Castlegar Primary today will be handed over to RCMP, after fire crews discovered vandalism was the cause of the incident.

Fire Chief Gerry Rempel said vandals broke a natural gas line on a rooftop heating unit, allowing the gas to flow into the buidling and permeate the atmosphere inside.

“There was a substanital amount of gas in the building,” he said.

Crews cleared the area and blocked off adjacent thoroughfares, and called Fortis BC to switch off the power before entering to investigate. Rempel said they are now ventilating the building, and the roads should be open again at around 5:30 p.m.

He said it was potentially a very dangerous situation, and that the school district would be contacting police for further investigation.

Categories: CrimeGeneral

Comments

10°C Clear Sky

Other News Stories

Opinion