Poll

RCMP continue to search for suspect involved in Thursday shooting

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
October 10th, 2014

The Village of Slocan continues to be on lockdown as the manhunt continues for the person who fired gunshots at Mounties Thursday afternoon.

Ken Del Puppo, a retired mill worker who lives on the north side of the village, opposite to where the RCMP containment is located, said everything remains calm this morning.

“It’s been kind of scary,” said Del Puppo, who was told by a neighbour of the incident Thursday afternoon.

“I haven’t been out of the house this morning but everything seems to be pretty quiet,” he adds.

Late Thursday night, Del Puppo said he could hear what he thought were shots at around 10:30 p.m.

“We heard shots last night and what we thought were stun grenades and dogs barking,” he said.

Del Puppo said the suspect lives on a piece of land the size of a city lot in Nelson near Gravel Pit and West Slocan Road,with pigs, chickens and cows.

There are vehicles on the land with the suspect living in one and animals in the other.

Del Puppo said the community has been quite worried about the suspect for about six months, adding it appeared the man was getting more agitated after recently being handed an eviction notice.

“He’s been running out of food money and got an eviction notice this summer,” Del Puppo said, who has a friend whose a neighbour of the suspect.

“It’s gotten really bizarre since then.”

RCMP searched for the suspect through the night, using infrared goggles and wearing flak jackets during patrols through the thick brush surrounding the village.

At least 40 officers from the surrounding detachments have been brought in to assist in the manhunt.

This post was syndicated from https://thenelsondaily.com
Categories: Crime

Comments

4°C Broken Clouds

Other News Stories

Opinion