Poll

Small fire downtown gets startling response from fire dept

Kyra Hoggan
By Kyra Hoggan
May 24th, 2017

A shed fire downtown drew a massive response from the Castlegar Fire Department Tuesday night, as it was reported during department training exercises.

“The call came in at 8:50 p.m. to respond to a structure fire in the 700 Block of 10 Avenue,” said Fire Chief Sam Lattanzio. “Because we were training, we had trucks out and about already, so we were there right away.”

Engine One, Engine Two, Command One and Ladder One responded, bringing 15 firefighters as well as the fire chief and both deputy chiefs.

“By the time crews responded, the shed was fully engulfed,” Lattanzio said. “Crews knocked down the fire quickly. It didn’t threaten any other structures except some fire damage to a fence near the property line and some singed trees.”

He said he estimates damages at under $5,000.

While they can’t be certain the cause of the blaze, Lattanzio said they suspect it was the result of rechargeable batteries in yard/garden lights being stored in the shed.

“We’ve definitely ruled out any sort of foul play,” he said.

Categories: General

Comments

0°C Overcast Clouds

Other News Stories

Opinion