Open burning now allowed in Boundary

Boundary Sentinel
By Boundary Sentinel
October 1st, 2018

BC Wildfire said in a media release that Category 3 open fires are again permitted in the Boundary Fire Zone.

Campfires and Category 2 open burning are already allowed in the Boundary Fire Zone and throughout the Southeast Fire Centre’s jurisdiction.

Anyone wishing to light a Category 3 open fire must obtain a burn registration number ahead of time by calling 1 888 797-1717. A burn registration number is not required to light a Category 2 open fire.

Anyone who lights, fuels or uses a Category 2 or Category 3 open fire must comply with the Environmental Management Act and the Open Burning Smoke Control Regulation. This requires individuals to check local venting conditions prior to lighting a fire and ensure that conditions are favourable for burning. If conditions are rated “poor” or “fair” in the area, open burning is restricted. Local venting conditions can be obtained by calling 1 888 281-2992 or visiting: http://ow.ly/76gW30lRlNN

The BC Wildfire Service is asking people to take the following precautions with any permitted outdoor burning:

  • Ensure that enough people, water and tools are on hand to control the fire and to prevent it escaping.
  • Do not burn in windy conditions. The weather can change quickly. The wind may carry embers to other combustible material and start new fires.
  • Create a fuel break around the planned fire site by clearing away twigs, grass, leaves and other combustible material.
  • Never leave a fire unattended.
  • Make sure that your fire is fully extinguished and the ashes are cold to the touch before leaving the area for any length of time.

In British Columbia, the Wildfire Act specifies a person’s legal obligations when using open fire on or within one kilometre of forest land or grassland. Further information, including a person’s legal obligations when conducting an open burn, can be found online.

Before lighting any fire, people should check with local authorities for any other restrictions that may be in effect beyond BC Wildfire Service restrictions. A poster explaining the different categories of open fires is available online.

The Southeast Fire Centre extends from the United States border in the south to Mica Dam in the north and from the Okanagan Highlands or Monashee Mountains in the west to the B.C.-Alberta border in the east. The Southeast Fire Centre includes the Selkirk and Rocky Mountain natural resource districts.

To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone.

For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, go to: http://www.bcwildfire.ca

This post was syndicated from https://boundarysentinel.com
Categories: General


29°C Few Clouds

Other News Stories