BC records 519 new cases, 84 in the Interior Health region
Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, have issued the following joint statement regarding updates on the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) response in British Columbia:
“Today, we are reporting 519 new cases, including six epi-linked cases, for a total of 59,072 cases in British Columbia.
“There are 4,810 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. There are 360 individuals currently hospitalized with COVID-19, 76 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
“Currently, 7,260 people are under active public health monitoring as a result of identified exposure to known cases and a further 51,893 people who tested positive have recovered.
“Since we last reported, we have had 117 new cases of COVID-19 in the Vancouver Coastal Health region, 235 new cases in the Fraser Health region, 34 in the Island Health region, 84 in the Interior Health region, 45 in the Northern Health region and four new cases of people who reside outside of Canada.
“To date, 63,430 people have received a COVID-19 vaccine in B.C.
“There have been 12 new COVID-19 related deaths, for a total of 1,031 deaths in British Columbia. We offer our condolences to everyone who has lost their loved ones during the COVID-19 pandemic.
“We have had one new health-care facility outbreak at Cariboo Memorial Hospital.
“Our focus is to ensure we safely deliver the available COVID-19 vaccine supply as quickly as possible to as many people as possible throughout B.C.
“This will be the largest and most complex immunization program ever delivered in our province. It requires close alignment and co-ordination with public health teams, health authorities and many others in our health sector to ensure this is done safely and quickly.
“Right now, our focus is on those who are highest risk, and we are tracking and reporting on this regularly.
“As our supply increases and immunization program expands to more and more people in the province, this process will get increasingly complex. This is why we have asked Dr. Penny Ballem to join the B.C. immunization response team as the executive lead.
“Dr. Ballem brings a depth of experience in health care, as well as in municipal government. She has been tasked to work alongside the minister of health, the provincial health officer and Dr. Ross Brown to ensure we are ready for widespread community immunization when the vaccine supply increases and is more readily available, starting in April.
“Many people are wondering about when they will have access to the vaccine. Work is underway to align the available supply with a person’s level of risk. More COVID-19 immunization information is available here: www.bccdc.ca
“The COVID-19 virus doesn’t recognize our fatigue and it is putting all of us to the test. So let’s continue to do all we can to stop the spread as we look to the brighter days ahead.”
Update on IH numbers:
· Please refer to the BCCDC Dashboard for numbers. It is updated M-F by 4:30 p.m.
· Four new deaths to report for a total of 44.*
o 1 death at Sunnybank in Oliver.
o 1 death at Creekside Landing in Vernon.
o 2 new deaths at McKinney Place in Oliver.
“Interior Health is sad to report four additional COVID-related deaths connected to outbreaks in long-term care facilities,” said Susan Brown, president and CEO, Interior Health. “I want to offer our condolences to all the families and caregivers. We continue to see COVID-19 activity in many areas of the southern Interior, so please remain vigilant in following the COVID-19 precautions: keep to your household bubble, stay home when you are sick, practise physical distancing, wear a mask, and wash your hands often.”
Update on outbreaks:
· Outbreak declared at Cariboo Memorial Hospital with four staff connected to this outbreak.
· Canim Lake has 44 cases linked to the outbreak.
· Sunnybank long-term care in Oliver has 25 cases: 18 residents and seven staff, with one death connected to this outbreak.
· Creekside Landing long-term care in Vernon has 16: 11 residents and five staff, with one death connected to this outbreak.
· Williams Lake Seniors Village has two cases: one resident and one staff.
· Noric House long-term care in Vernon has 37 cases: 24 residents and 13 staff
· Heritage Square long-term care in Vernon has 52 cases: 40 residents and 12 staff, with five deaths connected to this outbreak.
· Heritage Retirement Residence in West Kelowna has 45 cases: 40 residents and five staff, with two deaths connected to this outbreak.
· Teck mining operations remains at 16 IH cases linked to the outbreak.
· McKinney Place long-term care in Oliver has 78 cases: 55 residents and 23 staff, with 17 deaths connected to this outbreak.
· Village by the Station long-term care in Penticton has 10 cases: five residents and five staff, with one death connected to this outbreak.
· Mountainview Village long-term care in Kelowna has 16 cases: eight residents and eight staff, with two deaths connected to this outbreak.
Mental health support:
Mental health and anxiety support: www.bouncebackbc.ca
For the latest updates, guidance and information on COVID-19 and where to get tested:
The latest medical updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
Provincial health officer orders and guidance:
Non-health related information:
Financial, child care and education support, travel, transportation and essential service information: www.gov.bc.ca/covid19
Or call 1 888 COVID19 (1 888 268-4319) between 7:30 a.m. and 8 p.m. (Pacific time), seven days a week.
COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information by health authority:
BC Centre for Disease Control (flights, work sites, etc.): http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/outbreaks-and-exposures
Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures
For the latest videos and livestreaming of COVID-19 media availabilities, visit: