Weekly update on Columbia Avenue Redevelopment project, Phase 2
Construction kicked off this week and focussed on setting up the worksite between 18th and 21st Streets, removing asphalt, stockpiling aggregates, and locating utilities.
The contractor is maintaining two-way traffic through the construction site and is taking several steps to minimize impacts to commuters, businesses, and residents.
The BC Transit stops at the Sandman Hotel and Canadian Tire are temporarily not being serviced. BC Transit recommends passengers board the bus at the Castlegar & District
Recreation Complex on 6th Avenue.
The week of March 8, the community can expect to see crews:
• Laying out and installing water main pipe between 19th and 21st Streets;
• Starting some night work to reduce traffic congestion during the day. Restrictions to timing, noise and light will be in place;
• Removing trees and signs at the north end of the project; and
• Locating utilities throughout the project area.
Traffic patterns should remain the same, for the most part, but we expect the site will be busier due to increased construction activity.
Did you know?
• Removing trees at this time of year prevents disturbing nesting birds as spring approaches.
• When this project wraps up, there will be 1.5 km of new water amins in the city,