Castlegar Mayoral Candidate Kirk Duff, in his own words
I believe that Castlegar needs a positive, level-headed leader to guide us forward into the future.
My 18 years of experience as a City Councilor including 9 years as the City’s rep to the Regional District, position me well to hit the ground running when elected.
Since I was last on Council, I’ve continued my service to the community through my 40+ years as a Lions Club member. I’m currently the Board Chair of the BC Lions Clubs Society for Children with Disabilities & Easter Seals House based in Vancouver with summer camps at Shawnigan Lake, Squamish and Winfield.
I’ve served on the Castlegar Sculpture Walk board, Castlegar & District Library board of trustees, Castlegar & District Hospital Foundation executive & volunteered with the Castlegar Homecoming committee, BC Seniors Games and Kootenay Festival.
I’m a Quality Assurance Specialist with Teck Resources whom I’ve been employed with for the past 42 years.
My wife Myra and I live in downtown Castlegar. This coming July will see us celebrate 40 years of marriage. We have 3 grown children and 6 grandchildren.
As Mayor I Pledge to:
- Provide positive & level-headed leadership
- Apply my past experiences to the best of my ability
- Provide the residents of Castlegar a fresh restart including respectful discussion & respectful agreement or disagreement, both healthy parts of a true democracy.
- Request that if there is disagreement, that we at least try to understand the differing points of view
- Maintain a Fair & Balanced Approach with all that I do
- Work with Council to pause, take a breath and hold the line on taxation in 2022 with no increases other than the normal inflation affecting cost of service delivery
- Perform a full review of all City functions, budgets, and 2022 planning including any currently planned projects & related costing
- Work with Council to achieve a sustainable Airport
- Support our Castlegar & District Recreation Centre in their effort to live within their budget as another referendum in the near future is a non-starter for me
- Support our Castlegar & District Community Services Society in their efforts to assist persons at risk & without housing within a harm reduction model
- Advocate for 24/7 Emergency Services at the Castlegar & District Community Health Centre
- Address Housing & Homelessness in Castlegar
I’m involved in our community and have the political experience to hit the ground running as Mayor!