Weekly Update - Columbia Avenue Redevelopment Project – Phase 2
Over the last week, the contractor continued installing water services and completed paving at the north end of the project (from 18th to 20th Street and the Highway 3 ramps), landscaping and seeding, and installation of signs.
In the next week, you can expect to see:
- Line painting in the freshly paved area;
- Storm main installation, starting at 21st Street, heading south;
- Water servicing, hydrant work, and tie-ins between 21st and 23rd Streets;
- FortisBC upgrading gas services; and
- The removal of the sidewalk between Stellar Place and 24th Street.
The contractor has requested an extension of the detour which currently takes northbound traffic from Columbia Avenue to 6th Avenue from 20th to 24th Street. Southbound traffic remains on Columbia Avenue and all Columbia Avenue businesses remain open and accessible via the 6th Avenue detour. This week, the City met with residents and businesses in the detour area and is currently determining if the detour will be extended until the end of the project. Thank you to everyone who shared feedback!
During the detour, drivers are asked to:
- avoid blocking entrances to the Ambulance and Fire Halls to ensure timely response to emergencies.
- be courteous while driving on 6th Avenue and stop to let drivers in and out of businesses and houses. By working together, traffic flows best.
All BC Transit stops from Columbia Avenue have been temporarily relocated to 6th Avenue.
Did you know?
- Texting and driving in the construction zone could result in a $368 fine – $543 for new (N) drivers! To keep everyone safe, please avoid texting and driving through construction zones.