Weekly Update: Columbia Avenue Redevelopment Project - Phase 2
Over the last week, the contractor continued water service installations, catch basin cleaning, and began installing 1.6 km of storm main. FortisBC began upgrading gas services. In the next week, you can expect to see:
- Storm main installation on the east side from 22nd Street, heading south;
- Water service installation;
- FortisBC upgrading gas services;
- Catch basin installations near 22nd Street; and
- Shallow utility installation (FortisBC electrical, Telus, Shaw) starting at 20th Street, heading south.
The detour taking northbound traffic from Columbia Avenue to 6th Avenue will remain in place until the project is complete. We’ve made improvements to the detour such as:
- Extending traffic control during peak times to improve traffic flow;
- Painting a crosswalk on 6th Avenue to create a safer crossing;
- Adding signage and encouraging the community to support businesses in the heart of the construction;
- Reducing traffic in the residential area of 6th Avenue, from 24th to 27th Street; and
- Adding traffic control before and after school to ensure all children get to and from school safely.
During the detour, drivers are asked to:
- be courteous and let people in; and
- avoid blocking driveways to homes and businesses and entrances to Ambulance and Fire Halls to ensure timely response to emergencies.
Did you know?
- We will plant 40 new trees in the area currently under construction.