Weekly Project Update: Columbia Avenue Redevelopment - Phase 2
Last week Copcan hit a major milestone: all new water mains have been installed! Thank you to everyone who did their part on Tuesday to reduce water use for the last major water tie-in. Copcan has also completed storm main installation between 21st Street and halfway between 23rd and 24th Streets and installed shallow utilities like telephone, cable, and electrical in the same area. They also prepped areas for the new curb and sidewalk.
Next week, you can expect to see:
- Curb and sidewalk installation from 21st Street to between 22nd and 23rd Streets which should finish by the end of the week;
- Storm main installation to 24th Street on the east and west sides;
- The start of construction on retaining walls near 24th Street;
- Continuing road construction preparation; and
- FortisBC will be in the final stages of upgrading its gas services.
To keep everyone safe, pedestrians are asked to use 6th Avenue whenever possible since Columbia Avenue is an active and busy construction area.
Traffic volumes are increasing, and flaggers are working hard to keep traffic flowing but drivers may experience slightly longer waits. Please be patient and courteous to others on the road.
Did you know?
1.6 kilometers of water main – between 150 mm (6”) and 300 mm (12”) – has been installed, along with over 60 service connections to properties and eight hydrants.