Fire destroys home in Genelle, injures firefighter
A firefighter is coping with non-life-threatening injuries and a family with the loss of their home after a blaze in the China Creek portion of Genelle this morning.
Kootenay Boundary Fire Rescue Cpt. Jason Milne said Trail was dispatched to a residential home in Genelle for the smell of smoke at 5 a.m.
"Once (we were) on scene, heavy smoke could be observed venting from roof," he said. "Soon after, it was confirmed that the attic space was completely engulfed in fire.
"Extra resources ... were required to assist with fire suppression duties and providing water supply to this area of Genelle, where fire hydrants do not exist," he added.
Milne said the ceiling collapsed and one firefighter suffered a hand injury, and was transported to Trail hospital by BC Ambulance Service.
Regional Fire Rescue's acting captain Grant Tyson said the resident family originally tried to put out the fire with an extinguisher, but without success. The parents and several children evacuated the home without injury.
The fire does not appear to be suspicious.