Bank evacuated

Kyra Hoggan
By Kyra Hoggan
June 25th, 2009

The Castlegar CIBC was evacuated Wednesday afternoon after employees began smelling smoke throughout the building. Fire chief Gerry Rempel said his department received a call at 12:33 p.m., and arrived at the bank to find a problem with the building’s heating system, which had recently been serviced.

“A filter fell down onto a belt and pulley,” he said. “The friction caused a lot of smoke, which went through the whole duct system (and thus throughout the building).”

The problem was easily solved, he added, and workers were back in the building by 1:30 p.m.

“This could’ve caused a fire, so it’s very good they called it in right away,” he said. “Acting quickly helps keep this sort of thing from becoming much worse than it needs to be.”

Categories: General