Poll

Nelson Fire Department responds to human-caused fire near Waldorf School

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
June 27th, 2015

The worst nightmare for citizens of Nelson came to a sudden halt when Nelson Fire Department crews kept a wildfire from spreading Friday afternoon near the Waldorf School south of Nelson.

Assistant Fire Chief Mike Daloise said Nelson Fire Department was called at 3:44 p.m. Friday to a fire above the Waldorf School, located south of Nelson off Highway 6.

The brush fire, believed to have originated as a result of an unattended campfire, was too large to be contained the people who discovered the blaze.

Southeast Fire Centre personal is deeply concerned with human-caused fires with the region experiencing drought-like conditions.

Both on duty members from Nelson Fire Department responded immediately with anadditional three members responding from home.

The first arriving crew’s primary objective was contain the fire and keep it from spreading slowly moving on the forest floor. 

“Crews had to extend hose approximately three hundred feet up the hill into the bush to get to the area that was burning,” said Daloise.

Daloise said the burned approximately one hundred square feet of forest cover.

Nelson Fire Rescue responded to the incident with one fire engines, one tender truck, and one utility vehicles. No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. 

Nelson Fire Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to be especially careful with hot objects in the interface area.  Additionally, with the heat wave the region is currently experiencing, there is a ban on fires, fireworks, sky lanterns, and similar objects.

This post was syndicated from https://thenelsondaily.com
Categories: General

Comments

8°C Overcast Clouds

Other News Stories

Opinion