EOC issues evacuation alert for Grand Forks/Christina Lake
An Evacuation Alert has been issued for the following areas:
- Electoral Area D south of the Kettle River and south of the City of Grand Forks, including the Industrial/Ruckle area of the City of Grand Forks;
- Ponderosa and Cascade areas of Electoral Area C.
This is an Evacuation Alert, not an Evacuation Order, no residents are directed to evacuate at this time. This Evacuation Alert is being issued due to forecasted strong winds in the area of the Stickpin Fire in Washington State expected over the next few days. The area under Evacuation Alert could be impacted by ember showers from fires in Washington State. If you see a spot fire started from embers, call 911.
Evacuation Alert Procedures:
This Evacuation Alert has been issued by the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary (RDKB) Emergency
Operations Centre (EOC). An alert is being issued due to potential danger to life and health due to an interface wildfire.
This alert is being issued due to an upcoming weather event (strong winds) expected in the next few days. This area could be impacted by ember showers from fires in Washington State. If you see a spot fire started from embers, call 911.
The intention of this Evacuation Alert is to prepare you to evacuate your premises or property should it be necessary.
If an Evacuation Order is issued you will be required to leave immediately.
You should prepare for the possibility of an evacuation order by:
– Locating all family members or co-workers and designate a meeting place outside the evacuation area should an evacuation be called while separated
– Arrange accommodation for your family if necessary.
– Gathering essential items remember the 5 P’s (People, Pets, Prescriptions, Papers and Photos)
– Preparing to move any disabled persons and /or children
– Moving pets and livestock to a safe area outside the evacuation alert area
– Monitoring news sources for information on evacuation orders
What to do in the event an Evacuation Order is issued:
An evacuation alert may be followed by an immediate order to evacuate should conditions worsen.
In case of an evacuation order, you must leave your home immediately and vacate the area by using local roads and use Highway 3 to Highway 3B or Highway 22 to travel east to Trail. Please report to the Emergency Support Services Reception Centre at The Trail Memorial Centre (Arena) at 1051 Victoria Street in Trail, BC.
It’s important to register to receive emergency services such as support and family reunification. If you’re unable to physically check in at the reception centre you can call 1-888-350-6070.
For more information:
Regional District of Kootenay Boundary Emergency Operations Centre Hotline: 250-368-9127 or 1-866-747-9119,www.rdkb.com
https://twitter.com/alanlstanley (RDKB Emergency Info)
Local media, radio and television