Crash leads police to suspect, Trail man charged with assault
On Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2023, at 12:43 a.m. frontline Trail and Greater District RCMP officers responded to a single motor vehicle incident in the 1700 block of Columbia Avenue in Trail, according to RCMP Sgt. Mike Wicentowich. The two occupants in the vehicle had allegedly fled the scene after the crash.
Officers tracked down the two occupants, a 42-year-old Trail man and a 24-year-old Trail woman, only a short distance away from the scene. The officer’s investigation revealed that the man was believed to be travelling at a high rate of speed and lost control of the vehicle prior to the crash. The officer also discovered that the man had allegedly assaulted and threatened the woman during the incident.
Officers arrested the man and held him in custody until he appeared before a Provincial Court Judge. He was released on several conditions and will make his next court appearance on Jan. 4, 2023, in Provincial Court in Rossland.
Nathan Gordon (42) of Trail was charged with the following as a result of this investigation:
- Assault with a Weapon contrary to Section 267 of the Criminal Code;
- Dangerous Operation of Conveyance contrary to Section 320.13(1) of the Criminal Code;
- Possession of a Weapon contrary to Section 88 of the Criminal Code;
- Breach of Undertaking contrary to Section 145 of the Criminal Code x 2;
- Uttering Threats contrary to Section 264.1 of the Criminal Code.