No one injured as car engine catches fire in Credit Union parking lot

Nelson Daily Staff
By Nelson Daily Staff
July 10th, 2016

Nelson Fire Rescue Assistant Fire Chief Michael Daloise reports there were no injuries after a car caught fire Saturday evening in the parking lot of the local Credit Union.

“The fire appears to have originated in the area of the battery, and was confined to the engine compartment,” Daloise explained in a media release. 

Daloise said the call came in at 6:37 p.m. of a vehicle fire in the Nelson and District Credit Union parking lot. It appears the vehicle would not start and was being jumped by another car.

“Upon arrival of the first crew the vehicle had smoke coming from under the hood but there were no visible flames visible,” Daloise said.

“The first arriving crew’s primary objective was to ensure that the fire would not spread to adjacent vehicles or the building.”

Daloise said as firefighters were getting hose lines in place flames started to come from the engine compartment, which was quickly extinguished.

The cause of the fire was an electrical short at the battery. Damage is estimated at $1500. 

Daloise said Nelson Fire Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to ensure they are familiar with the procedure for jump-starting a vehicle prior to hooking up any jumper cables and how to identify the different terminals. 

“This is the second vehicle fire that involved jumper cables in the last two weeks,” Daloise said.

“(People) not sure of the procedure, please, contact a professional mechanic.”

Nelson Police Department officers also responded to assist with the investigation.

This post was syndicated from https://thenelsondaily.com
Categories: General


12°C Overcast Clouds

Other News Stories